replace original limited slip axle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replace original limited slip axle

denally

Reaction score
City, State
Emerson, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Sport Trac
I have a 2001 Explorer SportTrac 4X2 that I ordered new from my home town dealer when the SportTrac first came out. As ordered and per the original sticker it had a 4.10 Limited Slip axle (a $355.00 option). I know this sounds lame but somewhere along the line (at 46865 miles) there was work done on the rear end (by the original dealer & under warranty at no charge) and only much later did I discover it is no longer limited slip. My fault but I didn't drive it much and only realized the problem years later when I got stuck in slippery grass.
After discovery, looking back at the repair ticket, it says:
Replace clutch pack in rear end; 4205A Differential Carrier Assembly - in chassis; - integral carrier - diagnosis (4209) - L;
1 FSAZ*4947*BA KIT PLATE RR AX DIFFGEAR CLUTCH
1 XL*3* ADD HYP LUB
3 XY*75W140*QL OIL - RR AX LUB

Can anyone help me determine what I'd have to do to get my SportTrac back to the original limited slip axle? The dealership is no longer in business and ,as I still love this old truck and didn't notice the issue for a long time, I'm okay with absorbing the cost to restore.

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’ll need to have the clutch pack replaced again. Call a transmission, or driveline shop and tell them you have a Ford 8.8 that needs the clutches replaced. You still have the same limited slip axle it came with. If you want more torque available to both tires, they can change out the order of the clutch/steel pack to grab more.

Welcome to the forum.

Found a really good shop in Athens, GA that replaced the clutches in my 4.10 Limited Slip axle and, so far, all functionality is back like when my SportTrac was new.
Any body looking for a shop in this area let me know.

Back