Replace spark Plugs/ Tune Up | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace spark Plugs/ Tune Up

sounds like you're due. i just did my 5.0 plugs while replacing my ball joints. removed mud flap and went through from underneath using a deep 5/8" socket (regular 5/8" spark plug socket wouldn't fit all the way on the plug) a 9" extension and spark plug ratchet. super easy to do. replaced plugs with Autolite double platinum's. i don't really see why any quality spark plug won't work, but most people on this forum insist Autolite/Motorcraft is the only way to go, so why not. i believe Advance sells Motorcraft plug wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where can we purchase the 4.6 socket? O'Reilly doesn't sell them, haven't been to Autozone yet. Dealer item maybe? Be handy for changing the plugs in the Mustang also.
Thanks

parts store sell them, long sockets, they are cheap less you buy something like snap on, which is over 50 bucks, in parts store under 20.

Have you guys tried the E3 spark plugs? I had them in my 01 4.0 ranger an did great. I'll be putting them on my ST soon!

Have you guys tried the E3 spark plugs? I had them in my 01 4.0 ranger an did great. I'll be putting them on my ST soon!

oooohhhh please don't get this forum started on spark plug choices. "if it ain't Motorcraft or Autolite it just won't work". if E3's work good for you, great! i just installed Autolite platinum plugs (Motorcraft is made by Autolite) because i figure that's what the truck came with and not because the magical.

They probably worked well because I also had a k&n intake with a megnaflow exh with 2.5" tubing right after the cat. It would turn my 35's on stick gears like nothing. Even the guy that bought my truck was impressed with its take off and response....I miss that truck!

Hey nascar red how do you like the screamin demon coil? I'm looking to put that on my 2005 4.0 along with their wires. Also it said on summit racing with that coil we could gap our plugs at .65 is that a good thing or leave them a stock gap?

I was able 2 manage to change them with a 6" extension and a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter which made up a 1-1/2" extension in some spots. The left side is not as bad as you may think. Took me about 3 hrs as well but was working on other things also. NGk plugs and wires

ive been slowly working on my 100k tune up, and after changing brake pads, fluids, tire rotation, air filter, maf sensor, throttle body, and fuel filter, all i have left is to do the plugs and wires, and im still debating on a trans flush. i picked up some motorcraft plugs, pretty simple, nothing fancy but for some reason, i couldnt find a set of wires in a brand i usually use with all my vehicles for my trac, and got stuck with a set of omnispark wires. ive never heard of this brand, got them from an autozone, and i have no idea of their performance of reliability. i usually like to use bosch wires but could not find any in the half dozen shops in my town. anyone have experience using these plugs?

... got stuck with a set of omnispark wires. ive never heard of this brand, got them from an autozone, and i have no idea of their performance of reliability. i usually like to use bosch wires but could not find any in the half dozen shops in my town. anyone have experience using these plugs?

That is an Auto Zone in house brand.

if you use the 4.6l spark plug socket, you can get to the whole pass side with out a problem from under the hood.

mjACE.jpg
I can't find this anywhere. I want to change the plugs on my girl's 2001 ST, and they are a PITA to reach. If this makes it easier, I'll happily buy one, but I can't seem to find it.

I can't find this anywhere. I want to change the plugs on my girl's 2001 ST, and they are a PITA to reach. If this makes it easier, I'll happily buy one, but I can't seem to find it.

When I changed the plugs on my '01 ST I removed the front wheels and plastic inner fenders (not hard to do) and had complete and easy access to all 6 plugs. The hardest one was was #4, which I changed from the top with the aid of a universal joint and an extension. #3 is nearly impossible to change from the top, but is easy if you go through the fender.

When I changed the plugs on my '01 ST I removed the front wheels and plastic inner fenders (not hard to do) and had complete and easy access to all 6 plugs. The hardest one was was #4, which I changed from the top with the aid of a universal joint and an extension. #3 is nearly impossible to change from the top, but is easy if you go through the fender.
They almost make me miss changing plugs on my Subarus. Almost. My Mustang is SOOO much easier, lol.

parts store sell them, long sockets, they are cheap less you buy something like snap on, which is over 50 bucks, in parts store under 20.

Will this socket work just as good?
http://www.toolpan.com/OTC-Tools-69...SD0tKg8ThPNtin2dgpkoAeJz--yT3wFSWgaAman8P8HAQ

If not, what auto stores will have the one you showed in the picture? Or is there a link to purchase it online or from Amazon?
My '01 has over 96K miles (original plugs) and has been running sluggish for a while now. I already have the right Autolite plugs and Motorcraft wires ready to be installed. Would it be a good idea to replace the coil pack as well?

Back