Replace voltage regulator or entire alternator? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace voltage regulator or entire alternator?

TRB2003

Reaction score
City, State
Northern, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have what could be a dumb question but I hope to save some cash and this would definitely do that! When an alternator goes bad is it possible to just replace the voltage regulator and the brushes? Or am I going to have to go through with an entire alternator replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for suggestion.

Not a dumb question at all. The quick answer is - Yes you can.

My alternator died this last Winter. Voltage Regulator was $53 (1 year warranty), Alternator was $150 (lifetime warranty). I had been hearing some occasional squealing prior to the untimely death which I thought might be bearings so I went with the replacement Alternator.

45 minutes from grabbing tools to clean hands, this was on a 5.0. I removed the air cleaner box to give more clearance and actually removed the alternator through that space.

Now is a good time to replace the serpentine belt if you don't know when it was last changed. Most of my install time was spent getting the new belt under the crankshaft pulley working from the top, I didn't really want to lay down in the snow . . .

Good Luck,
Dan

Thanks Dan, Thanks for the reminder about the serpetine belt also! I was noticing mine was starting to show some cracking!

I haven't done an Explorer alternator yet but when my BMW alternator came up for repairs I just replaced the brushes.

Easy and very cheap.

Check the sticky section under this subforum.

It may even have a whole test procedure that you can do while you have it apart for the diodes and stator winding.

Since I have the alternator out, I'll take it apart and look at the brushes. If they look bad I'll replace them and see how it goes. Nothing to lose at this point in time! Thanks to you both for the suggestions.

Well, the bearings might be on their way out too...

By the time you replace those, you might as well buy a remanufactured alternator.

Back