Help 1991 looses power alternator crushes or voltage regulator? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help 1991 looses power alternator crushes or voltage regulator?

deloe21kcpt

Reaction score
City, State
compton california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer 4wd
I NEED HELP!!!THE POWER IN MY 1991 4WD FORD EXPLORER KEEPS ON GOING OUT THE BATTERY IS GOOD I CHARGED UP THE BATTERY AND IT WORKED AGAIN A MECHANIC CAME BY SAID THE ALTERNATOR IS BAD BUT I WAS THINKING COULD IT BE A POSSIBILITY THAT THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR OR THE BRUSHES ARE BAD INSTEAD OF THE ALTERNATOR? PLEASE HELP:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Posting in all caps is a :nono:

...Pull your alternator and your battery out...Take them down to autozone and have them both bench tested...

...Do not drive over there and let them hook up the crash cart test, it usually gives false readings...;)

Thanks for the reply and thanks for letting me know about not posting in all caps the mecahnic used something to test the voltage on the alternator and said the alternator was the problem i charged up the battery and works great but after a while it still dies thats why i was wondering if it could be the brushes or voltage regulator.

...It could be...It also could be a couple of other things too...Until you get them tested we would just be guessing...:dunno:

As suggested, pull the alternator and have AZ bench test it. If it tests bad, then you can decide whether to replace brushes, regulator, or the whole unit.

Back