Replaced alt. still not charging the battery. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced alt. still not charging the battery.

Anyone have a picture of the 175 amp fuse? I spent an hour yesterday looking through all the wires from the battery and alternator, and could not find the damn thing. I even pulled out the fuse box and still nothing.

My girlfriends car is totally dead. It starts but is running off the battery. I know the battery and alternator are good, as they are brand new and both were bench tested 6 times. I just bought a starter solenoid, and i hope thats the problem.

I checked ALL of the fuses and none were blown.

HELP ME FIND THAT 175 AMP FUSE!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have battery voltage at the back terminal of the alternator?

If you do, then the megafuse is supplying voltage and is not blown...If you don't have battery voltage there, then assuming your MY Explorer has a megafuse it would be under the small cover on the back side of the power distribution box on the drivers side under the hood next to the master cylinder..

I will try to find a picture of the megafuse ...

Look at the last post in this article...#19...It shows a diagram of the megafuse and its location...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180814&highlight=power+layout

On the back of the power distribution box, there is a little plastic cover. It slides up, with one cable going to it, but I don't see the fuse there. As far as the diagram in that post, the megafuse, its not there in that location.

BTW it's a 1996 Explorer 5.0L 2WD

Anyone have a picture of the 175 amp fuse? I spent an hour yesterday looking through all the wires from the battery and alternator, and could not find the damn thing. I even pulled out the fuse box and still nothing.

My girlfriends car is totally dead. It starts but is running off the battery. I know the battery and alternator are good, as they are brand new and both were bench tested 6 times. I just bought a starter solenoid, and i hope thats the problem.

I checked ALL of the fuses and none were blown.

HELP ME FIND THAT 175 AMP FUSE!!!!
Drivers side-look to right of battery.Behind fuse box,lift cover-U will see the battery cable and the starter cable. Between the two posts is a FLAT 175 amp lead strip.Check for voltage on each terminal. Its not your a normal plug fuse.

Drivers side-look to right of battery.Behind fuse box,lift cover-U will see the battery cable and the starter cable. Between the two posts is a FLAT 175 amp lead strip.Check for voltage on each terminal. Its not your a normal plug fuse.

Im going to try and take a picture of the bay. Maybe Im blind, but I dont see the battery cables.

Maybe my Explorer if different. I took a picture of mine. I'm trying to figure out how to upload it to the forum.

I want to thank everyone on this thread. I have been troubleshooting my 93 explorer for 24 hours. Installed a new alternator after the original one seized it's bearings, but the vehicle still would not charge. Checked the haynes manual for the voltages at the connectors and everything tested OK except the A point (should be 12 volts, but was 0) After reading this thread and the statements of the 175 amp fuse, I checked the manual again for the wiring diagram, and found that the A post of the alternator is wired to a 15 amp fuse in the power distribution block. Pulled it, an sure enough it was blown. Replaced the fuse and now it is charging like a dream. I am assuming that the fuse blew when the alternator decided to eat itself. Here's hoping that this is now the end of this issue for me. Good luck to everyone else!!!

:exp:

hi,

i think i may have the same problem. I have a new battery and alternator and have had them checked at the local garage and verified that they are working correctly.

Everything was working fine last night but after heading to work this morning, my battery was completely dead. I'm wondering if the 175amp fuse is gone. Would this cause the battery to empty over night?

I have located the 175 amp fuse but as it is sealed, I can't tell if it's gone. Any thoughts? I don't want to take it to the shop if that's all it is. I've already spent over $500 there lately.

thanks

gb

hi,

i think i may have the same problem. I have a new battery and alternator and have had them checked at the local garage and verified that they are working correctly.

Everything was working fine last night but after heading to work this morning, my battery was completely dead. I'm wondering if the 175amp fuse is gone. Would this cause the battery to empty over night?

I have located the 175 amp fuse but as it is sealed, I can't tell if it's gone. Any thoughts? I don't want to take it to the shop if that's all it is. I've already spent over $500 there lately.

thanks

gb
Battery totally dead.
1. Battery is defective.
2.Something is drawing it down.(lights left on)
3.If the alternator is charging,is the charge getting to the battery.?
The 175 Amp fuse would not draw the battery down,It just protects the circuit.

something is definitely drawing the power from the battery and draining it over night. I cant tell what it is though. Any thoughts on how I might diagnose?

Use your voltmeter to test the 175 amp fuse...

Now that the battery is dead, first I would have the battery recharged...Then after the battery is fully charged, put it back in the truck and see if you are getting battery voltage at the back of the alternator before starting or turning on the key...

If you are not, then the 175 amp fuse is blown or the leads from the big fuse and/or to the back of the alternator are not making a good connection...

You can also test the 175 amp fuse without the battery installed...Test the continuity across the fuse terminals and see if the fuse is open or if you get a reading other than an open...If you get a connection through the fuse, it is good...

Since your alternator was tested and passed, I would really look at the cables at the battery and the connections at the alternator...Especially if the 175 amp fuse is not blown...

I know the battery is being charged by the alternator. I've had it tested and all is working well. Something else is pulling the charge out of the vehicle when not on. Some sort of faulty module or compnent. I just don't know how I could isolate the problem. Any tips appriciated.

Thanks

GB

To test for a drain you need to put a DVM between the negative terminal and battery and see how much drain you really have. (measure amperage)

Now you start to pull fuses to issolate which circuit is pulling the power.

Some things to watch for... Make sure the dome light isn't on when your doing this as it will give you an extra draw. Same is true for an under hood light (I don't think the newer X's had one, but I Figure I'd throw it out just in case).

~Mark

To test for a drain you need to put a DVM between the negative terminal and battery and see how much drain you really have. (measure amperage)

Now you start to pull fuses to issolate which circuit is pulling the power.

Some things to watch for... Make sure the dome light isn't on when your doing this as it will give you an extra draw. Same is true for an under hood light (I don't think the newer X's had one, but I Figure I'd throw it out just in case).

~Mark
Maniak-Good idea. I was trying to fiqure out just how to test for a drain.I'm going to save that info in my repair manual.

Also-I wonder if his battery is really any good. My new DieHard battery went dead two days in a row after charging it each time and letting it set overnight.Sears said it was defective and gave me a new one.

I had a battery go dead like that before. Charge it up.. then disconnect the negative cable.. and see what its like over the next few days (using you dvm).. If it keeps dropping fast then its toast..

~Mark

Still charging.....

Well, the issue was over 4 months ago, and the charging system is still working great. I did have to replace one battery terminal and the battery (terminal cracked, and the battery was just old), but they were not related to the orignial problem. The replacement alternator was an upgrade to the original equipment, making sure that there is PLENTY of extra amperage when needed by the system. Thanks again to all the members on this thread. Your assistance did the trick.

What's funny is that I sat in the Advance Auto parking lot and changed out 3 alternators before giving up. Took it to a local Mr. Alternator and they couldn't figure it out. Finaly once of the gurues came in and said check the fuse.

A freaking fuse was keeping the alternator from charging the battery. Change the fuse out. That is probably all it is. I keep spare fuses like crazy now.

been there done that on a f-150,check the fuse, its located near the wiring harness main connector.

Wait until you discover a bad bulb. In some models, Ford used the bulb as a fuse and when the bulb goes bad, there is no charge. I found this out because I knew about the fuse, but couldn't find it. Out of 4 hours troubleshooting and sheer hope, I popped the dash, checked the bulb, saw that the bulb's fillament was broken, so I replaced it. To my amazement, the alternator started charging again and all was well. I believe it was a Taurus.

The explorer (1st gen) has that little feature. Dannyboy learned that the hard way when he built his own dash.

He didn't put in an alternator light.. But the alternator bulb is used to excite the alternator.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1st gens have the fuse too. Small 15 amp minifuse in the main powerd distro box under the hood. It's not marked anywhere except for the little plastic cover of the block.

Back