Replacement Key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Key

golfboy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer
Okay, I'm confused.

1999 Mountaineer. I lost one of my keys and remote entries - still have the other. I was going to buy a new key on eBay and take it to a locksmith to have it cut...

Reading that the keys are programmed? is that right? It looks like there are 2 different keys on eBay, a bigger one with dimples (not like mine) and a smaller smooth black one (like mine).

Can someone tell me if there are different types of keys and whether or not they have to be programmed by the dealership?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need a PATS lock compatible key. Unfortunately since you only have one key, you need to take it to Ford to get it programmed. If you had two keys, you could program them yourself with instructions listed in the Useful section of this forum.

Blee1099 said:
You need a PATS lock compatible key. Unfortunately since you only have one key, you need to take it to Ford to get it programmed. If you had two keys, you could program them yourself with instructions listed in the Useful section of this forum.
Thanks... it figures Ford has to get their piece of the action. :rolleyes:

In order to program the second key, the technician needs to hook up a WDS (Ford's computer diagnostics system) to the vehicle's computer and bypass the security system.

This usually takes about an hour, but I've seen it take 20 mins and sometimes even up to an hour and 45 mins!!!!

Just thought I might share!!
Shaun

buy two replacements,next time you lose a key you will be able to program the key yourself.

Back