Replacing Main brake line | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Main brake line

if the line is not rusted all the way up to the flare you could just make to cuts before and after the rust. Buy two compression fittings and cut your new line and put it in with your compression fittings. That way you dont have to buy the flare tool. Its what I do if I can get away with it at work, and it works just as good with no worries. GL!
STOP! Compression fittings are only rated for 300 psi. Your system will see up to 1800 psi.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,
The main brake line that runs from the front to the rear wheels has developed a leak on my 98 explorer. The whole thing is pretty rusted, as a result I am planning to replace the entire line. Can anyone give me tips on this?

Thanks
David
Uses the nickel steel line in the 25 foot roll. I ended up replacing all my line on my 95. When you look at the brake line in the rail everything is rusted in the rail. I uses a coat hanger, bend it to the shapes you need. Then transfer it to the real deal. The first time I did not remove everything out on the rail. Just installed the line from the driver side rear wheel to just under The driver seat, flare the ends and coupling the two line. That will get you by for a few years. You will have too replace all your lines. I replace everything, because everything was rusty. It was easy to replace the flexible lines at the same time. I remove my gas tank replaced also. With the skid plate it helps too get in there. The gas tank removed because of the vapor line rusted out. Up front under the foot well area there is a heat shield. All the lines go thru it. First time I could not remove it. Second time I had too for the vapor line. Good luck

For ABS line they flex I believe 6 to 8 lines I purchase those line and had to make up the difference.

When I did this I used no glaring tools, I just bought an adapter to change the coupling in the replacement line to the correct flare.

The brake lines at the ABS unit are flexible for a reason.

The brake lines at the ABS unit are flexible for a reason.
Yes: the flexible lines are there to minimize noise from the ABS pump. You can run without them. Fact.

Back