Lower rocker panels removed...what to cover the holes with? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower rocker panels removed...what to cover the holes with?

TrackAire

Reaction score
City, State
Vacaville, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
I removed the plastic lower rocker panels....is there a factory "strip" molding that covers the holes? I'm pretty sure there is a thread on it, but gave up after multiple searches. Forum member "Travis' 94" truck has a thin black strip that covers these holes....trying to figure out if this is custom or a factory option for the trucks that did not have the big plastic rocker panels like my truck had.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You removed the plastic (”tupperware”) trim that covers the rocker panels. I am not aware of any other factory trim or plugs for the faster holes in the rocker panel that are now exposed. You will probably have to be creative … maybe you can use Christmas tree fasteners that should be available at your local hardware store.

Good luck.

There is might be a part number for these strips. I found tihs 93 in california , which appears to be the same solution. Not sure what it is though. Might be vinyl, might be metal. It is the only other so far seen to have the same cover up solution as travisfab(whos appears to be a california member)'s, Have you asked travisfab about it?

61344efdb7264ee9bea1dab1588e1c11.jpg

There is might be a part number for these strips. I found tihs 93 in california , which appears to be the same solution. Not sure what it is though. Might be vinyl, might be metal. It is the only other so far seen to have the same cover up solution as travisfab(whos appears to be a california member)'s, Have you asked travisfab about it?

View attachment 342246
Yup, that is exactly what I was talking about. Looks clean and factory (which I'm sure it is). I'll take a look at some local pick n pulls to see if their website shows these on any of the gen 1's they have in stock. Thanks for posting up the pic.

Hard to see that in the photo… might be the “Tupperware” or a slip-on rocker cover. The slip-on style rocker cover looks like a cheap way to hide rusted rocker panels, and would probably trap dirt and water and make things worse. I doubt that would be your solution.

But maybe the photo shows just what you are looking for. Hopefully. Let us know what you find.

Good luck.

Yup, that is exactly what I was talking about. Looks clean and factory (which I'm sure it is). I'll take a look at some local pick n pulls to see if their website shows these on any of the gen 1's they have in stock. Thanks for posting up the pic.
Would assume watching junk lots for this to be a waste of time, having had alerts for first gens in junk yards nationwide for a few years. The 93 spotted was a private sale.
Best prospect for information is asking travisfab, being a current user with likely the same part. Maybe to at least confirm if it is adhesive mount, or appears to use the existing holes.

If it was an official part, it would only be for 93-94 , so would I think to have a pn starting F3TZ

That ex pictured is identical color to my 94 EB. I still have the Tupperware on the bottom.

My Jurassic project had me remove the plastics and I welded the holes closed and ground them flat. This is probably the best way to fix it, but requires all the body work and paint for a proper finish.

On my 94s, I noticed a color keyed 'vinyl graphic like' stone guard sticker on the forward side of the body roll at the rear tire well. This appears to be factory applied. If you could find the material, it would make a good color keyed patch. The EB's decal was tan at one time!

So much rust!!

IMG_20210916_171105392.jpg

IMG_20210916_171133193.jpg

Back