Replacing Metal Trans Cooler Line question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Metal Trans Cooler Line question

1999fordexplo

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
(1999 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD)

I have a leak in the metal trans cooler line that runs from the bottom of the radiator to the cooler, not to the transmission. I got the replacement line from Ford and wonder if I can take the old one off and put the new one on and whatever fluid spills out I replace. Or do I have to drain the trans fluid first? Which connection should I take off first? Everything under the car is rusty so i don't want to loosen any extra bolts if I don't have to. Plus I have never drained my own trans fluid so I'd have to learn that too. Any help with my questions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Go aheadand replace the damaged line. No need to change the trans fluid. However it would probably be a good idea. What does the fluid look and smell like? It should be bright without a burnt smell. To change the fluid, just pull the trans pan off. Change the filter while you have the pan off. Loosen all the bolts, remove the bolts from the front, or the rear, but not all. Pry the pan loose, allowing the oil to drain, then remove rest of the bolts. A tip. Go to your local home improvement store and buy a plastic pan to mix mortar in. You will be glad you have the extra room to drain the fluid. The pans are cheaper than the drain pans from the auto parts store.

Thanks for the reply. The fluid wasn't burnt at all and looks new. Changing the fluid sounds easy but I've never done it before and ever nut and bolt is rusty. If I can just disconnect the old line and let fluid leak out I want to do that. Just wondered if that was an ok route to go.

Last month my rear shock mount broke (the rust ate through it) and I heard the shock scrapping on the ground. To replace the mount I had to get the 4 nuts off the u-rings which was a major chore considering I am not a 'car' guy and don't have car guy tools. I realy don't want to press my luck with this vehicle. It seems like more harm than good will happen if I try to drop the pan because the whole underside is rusty.

I understand where you arecoming from. Just change the line. To make the job easier for you, go to the parts store or Harbor Freight, Sears, wherever you buy tools, and get yourself some line wrenches. Dont use an open end wrench, as you run the risk of rounding off the fittings. I dont remember for sure the size of the fittings, but an assortment of line wrenches is a good thing to own.

Back