Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing Without the Hub | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing Without the Hub

jaesto

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer V8 AWD
I replaced both of my rear wheel bearings in my 2002 Mountaineer about 9 months ago and it looks like they are gone again. I got those cheap ones in Ebay and may have been those bad quality chinese ones and now I have to redo the whole thing again. When I replaced them I installed a new hub as well. I would like to use the high quality SKF or Timken this time but only the bearing and not the hub as they are relatively new.
Has anybody changed only the bearings without the hub. I do not want to spend more than what I have to but at the same time not making a mistake. I would be doing the job myself and take the bearings to Pep boys to be pressed just as I did before.

That really stinks - sorry to hear about your bad fortune on this item.

Given that the cost of the hub is cheap relative to the overall costs of the job, and that once done correctly with good bearings one should not expect to have to redo this job for a long, long time, I would advise against not replacing the hub since the bearing rides in it.

Question: Did you do it yourself the first time and will you do it again this time? (edit - I went back and re-read your post - never mind this question.)

Would you be so kind as to advise the folks on this site where you got the short-lived bearings so that others can learn from your misfortune?

Back