Report Dealer Markups Website

jsgoofn

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Beautiful Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Ford Authority website posted an article about a new website where you can report and view dealerships that markup vehicles. Not just Fords but many others as well. This comes in handy for research. I added two dealers already that marked up Explorer ST-Line for $3,000 and $2,500. One dealer justified the price stating that he could auction the same vehicle and make $2,500 over MSRP so he will just charge the customer instead. What a lovely way to keep customers. 😕

Here's the article: https://fordauthority.com/2022/04/ford-dealer-markups-get-highlighted-via-new-website/

Here's the website: MARKUPS.org

You can view without signing up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know. It's a difficult situation. I certainly understand that people get pissed if the dealer tries to charge "extra" to buy a new car, but these have been truly crazy times with dealers having no cars available to sell and their lots full of expensive used cars. The dealer has an operation to run and employees to pay. No one complained when they were able to sell their used vehicle for a ridiculously high price. When the situation is reversed is the customer a jerk when they negotiate a price thousands less than MSRP? Personally I won't pay the marked up price to buy a new car, but unless the dealer does something like spray Scotchgard on the seats and charge 5K for it I'm not going to get mad at them either. It's a business and a market. Ostensibly something is worth what someone will pay for it.

I agree with what you say but when the dealer had originally listed the vehicle without the markup then all of a sudden decided they needed to do an adjustment just bothered me. Ford has been yelling at its dealers to stop with the markups. Ford can slow or stop allocations if that is a continued issue so eventually, it will come back to bite them. What I don't understand is why other dealers of similar size are not marking them up. I understand needing to keep a business going but whey risk alienating the very same people you hope to become your lifetime customer with this short term "fix".

One of the dealers did mention that they want more people to place orders and are offering large incentives to do so. Several local ones are offering $2,000.

But, as you mentioned, if someone really wants that particular vehicle, then they will pay.

I am off my soap box now...... ;)

I understand marking up vehicles on the lot, b/c in these times the customer will need to pay a premium to get the vehicle right now since dealer inventory is low. But dealers putting mark ups on customer orders? These are orders the dealer can't get themselves b/c the customer orders are taking priotirty over dealer stock orders. I know of two dealers marking vehivles up $1500 which is coincidentally the Ford incentive for customer orders. Others in the area are not marking up at all. The only reason I think they are doing it is they feel that in this climate they can make the customer think all dealers are doing this. I even had one dealer tell me that the reason for the mark up is because they can out the order in with Ford and these other dealers really can't put the order in and if I go to them I will never actually get a the vehicle. They is just flat out deceptive sales tactics.

Completely agree. Some of it is just plain greed. I'm hoping that people will look over these types of websites and not buy from those dealers. The scarce business will get scarcer (if there is such a word - ;)).

Right now dealers have the advantage of low inventory so they can bully the buyer. I take the position, ok then I will remember this in a year or so when the advantage flips back to the buyer. My dealer says nothing goes out the door less than sticker MSRP right now, no A,Z,X, plan purchases right now. I will remember that come lease end. This is a big integrity test in my opinion, the dealers have long time loyal customers that they need to treat differently then a new walkon customer. After buying 4, 5, 6, or more vehicles from one dealership they should also be loyal and keep you buying at your previous prices throughout the tough times.

I haven't noticed my dealer marking up any of the vehicles that have. They show the window sticker for all the new Ford/Lincoln vehicles they have in stock and the 'sticker' price corresponds to the advertised selling price.

Peter

Every new vehicle at my local dealer has an ADM sticker on it, usually $1,700 or so.

one reason i went to a ford over the kia telluride was the fact they wanted 10k over msrp and ford is charging me msrp with a 1500 preorder discount lol

Love the screenname! 👍

A Ford dealer 3 miles from me charges 5k over MSRP as a `market adjustment`. If I drive 10 miles south, that dealer charges $400 over invoice which is below MSRP. Wonder who we're going to buy from??? 🤔 🤔🤔🤔

A Ford dealer 3 miles from me charges 5k over MSRP as a `market adjustment`. If I drive 10 miles south, that dealer charges $400 over invoice which is below MSRP. Wonder who we're going to buy from??? 🤔 🤔🤔🤔

You should email the Sales Manager and tell him that. But, the reality of today is, he doesn't care because he knows he can sell everything for 5K over MSRP.

I ended up ordering from a dealer that was MSRP less the Ford incentives. That was the best I could find in the Boston area. Most were marking up $500-$2,000. On in stock vehicles mark ups were $2,000 - $6,000. In stock Broncos were $10,000. Crazy

I ended up ordering from a dealer that was MSRP less the Ford incentives. That was the best I could find in the Boston area. Most were marking up $500-$2,000. On in stock vehicles mark ups were $2,000 - $6,000. In stock Broncos were $10,000. Crazy
about what i got was the best i could find in 200 miles and they are in my hometown

Back