Requesting help in identifying a part in my engine located directly below the alternator. Images included. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Requesting help in identifying a part in my engine located directly below the alternator. Images included.

andres666

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that one of you can help me Identify something on my vehicle

Ford Explorer 2006 XLT 6 cylinder

I was working on my car yesterday with my dad when he noticed a torn cable.
We followed the cable, and it appears that it had been glued at some point on the other end. We couldn't figure out what it was. The location where the cable was glued into is directly below the alternator. I am attaching some images of the glued end and the cable to see if anyone is familiar. I have put red circles around the location to make it easier to hopefully identify. Thank you all in advance.

IMG_6321.jpg IMG_7329 copy.jpg IMG_9301 copy.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that one of you can help me Identify something on my vehicle

Ford Explorer 2006 XLT 6 cylinder

I was working on my car yesterday with my dad when he noticed a torn cable.
We followed the cable, and it appears that it had been glued at some point on the other end. We couldn't figure out what it was. The location where the cable was glued into is directly below the alternator. I am attaching some images of the glued end and the cable to see if anyone is familiar. I have put red circles around the location to make it easier to hopefully identify. Thank you all in advance.

View attachment 435388 View attachment 435389 View attachment 435390
iirc there is a line like that in the 2g at least that goes to the driverside fender all the way up at the front maybe (?) not sure if it is still on the 4g however

That isn't a cable......it's a vacuum hose. That's the passenger side of the engine. One end of the hose connects onto the "heater control valve".......this heater control valve is the part below the alternator......the other end of this hose travels up towards a location between the fender and aluminum air conditioner system pipes. Up near the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment.......I'm NOT sure, but I think the hose up there is white........it eventually travels on and attaches to the "tempersture adjustment" knob on the A/C panel inside the passenger compartment.........

iirc there is a line like that in the 2g at least that goes to the driverside fender all the way up at the front maybe (?) not sure if it is still on the 4g however
Yes, there is a similar vacuum line like that on the 2g in regards to the driver's side of the vehicle......the line you are referring to is for the electric switched valve associated with the EVAP emissions system. That particular valve is located below the battery tray and above the inner fender liner. Difficult to see, but easy to access if you have a lift to raise the vehicle completely up off the ground.........

That being said, the OP stated his lines are on a v6 engine and located below the alternator...... alternator on these v6 engines are located on the passenger side of the engine......passenger side of the engine has the heater control valve......driver's side has emissions control valve.

Yes, there is a similar vacuum line like that on the 2g in regards to the driver's side of the vehicle......the line you are referring to is for the electric switched valve associated with the EVAP emissions system. That particular valve is located below the battery tray and above the inner fender liner. Difficult to see, but easy to access if you have a lift to raise the vehicle completely up off the ground.........

That being said, the OP stated his lines are on a v6 engine and located below the alternator...... alternator on these v6 engines are located on the passenger side of the engine......passenger side of the engine has the heater control valve......driver's side has emissions control valve.
ohhhhhhhh ok yeah. i couldve sworn that line went to the passenger side too?

ohhhhhhhh ok yeah. i couldve sworn that line went to the passenger side too?
That line you're referring to is white w/yellow stripe......it connects into a larger diameter rubber hose along with a red vacuum line. Together, these two vacuum lines are attached onto a nipple on the driver's side of the intake manifold.

I've worked on so many of these Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Navajo vehicles. 1996-2010 models.........feel like I know where everything is located on these vehicles. It's a curse, really.

Note for Andres666. When purchasing a new heater control valve, make sure you bring the old one with you so you can match it up with the new part because there are three different designs for these valves.

That isn't a cable......it's a vacuum hose. That's the passenger side of the engine. One end of the hose connects onto the "heater control valve".......this heater control valve is the part below the alternator......the other end of this hose travels up towards a location between the fender and aluminum air conditioner system pipes. Up near the firewall on the passenger side of the engine compartment.......I'm NOT sure, but I think the hose up there is white........it eventually travels on and attaches to the "tempersture adjustment" knob on the A/C panel inside the passenger compartment.........
Ahhh. OK. Since you mention adjustment knob.... the knob on occasion does make a clicking sound when I set it all the way to high heat.

Back