• Register Today It's free!

Reverse/3rd Weird Problem

mike-the-brit

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hello all, I've long seen fantastic questions and advice posted here and am glad to join at last.

I've heard similar problems to mine with solutions ranging from clean it to junk it. When I come to put it in reverse in the morning, it sometimes takes up to a minute to engage. Then, all gears work fine. But here's the twist: if I don't wait for reverse to engage and drive straight off in the forward gears, 3rd won't engage. I can then stop, put it in reverse, wait for the clunk, set off again and 3rd's working.

Anybody throw any light on this one or offer advice, (even if it's just the tranny is junk!). Thanks.

Trying to find a common thread in the hydraulic circuitry between those 2. Guess what. The 2-3 shift valve is implicated. Your slow reverse may just be a leaky servo ring.

I'm going to suggest that there is a good possibility of a Valve Body rebuild and new seals on the low reverse servo (and possibly the addition of a tip extender on the low reverse servo piston) might just solve all your problems. Keep the fluid clean! Your governor is going to start being a potential problem as the miles increase. Hope this helps.

Go read the A4LD Valve Body rebuild diary.....it is in the stickies at the top.

Reverse/3rd Problem - mist starting to clear...

Wow - awsome. Many thanks for the help. I'll follow the diary as suggested.
Couldn't have asked for a better response to my first post, eh? :)

Back