• Register Today It's free!

Right Front Sound...

savage120

Reaction score
City, State
Hamburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
After driving around for a while it starts to make this luka-luka-luka sound with every rotation of the wheel. I know it is not the radius arm bushing, becuase i had that replaced already along with the bracket. Would a wheel bearing make that sound after driving for a little bit? Im going to take the wheel off tommorrow to check things out. The funny thing is when i step on the brakes it goes away, but as soon as I get off the brakes it starts up again???

Thanks, Savage

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your pads are rubbin on your disc. so it like gracefully grazes it and makes the sound

My '94 did the same thing. Turned out it was the auto 4x4 hub partically engaging. Found it by taking a hard turn right or left, then go straight. Heard the noise & stopped. Engage then dis-engage 4 wheel. Drive & noise goes away. Sometimes have to engage 4wd, go straight, stop, disengage 4wd, reverse for about 15 feet, then go forward.

Someone said the hub needs to be repacked / greased, but since I found a 'quick fix' I never went that route.

If you can mimick my fix, then it's the hubs. If that doesn't work, I'd check the brake pads as already suggested. Other then that, if it were your bearings, you would be able to jack up the tire & check for in & out play. If the tire wiggles / wobbles, you got a bearing going south.

Walter

Thanks, ill try that 4x4 manuver, i took the wheel off today and everything is well greased and stiff. Would a wheel bearing even make a luka-luka-luka sound?

Yep. Ask my wife who went 500 miles to Maine & back with that noise! But after that trek the wheel was very loose when jacked up (grab top & bottom & it wiggled.... grap left & right side & it wiggled but not as much). Bearing (when I got it back) went lunka-lunka-lunka..... 5 miles & 100 feet from work it went lunka-grind-grind "I'm not moving 1 more inch". New bearing, hub, rotor too much $$..... look on her face when I told the wife what could have happened to her on the highway if it went south, priceless...

Walter

Also that could cause it. When the 4wd was partially engaged it made a tic tic tic sound. Walters right with his say post. It says that in the manula too. If that dont work take it in to the shop.

I was listening a little closer and as soon as I go on the brakes a little bit it stops. And I mean a little bit. and going a decent speed down the hi-way it doesn't do it??? Is there anything I should look for when the wheel is off, I had the wheel off and visually nothing looked or felt loose to me??

Take the wheel off again & spin the brake disc. Sounds for sure the disc is warped & if it is your spinning should show a rub / hard spot.

If that shows nothing, go & tap the brake, then try again. Your caliper may be sticking.

Good Luck
Walter

As I understand it from my Haynes manual, there is supposed to be an anti-rattle clip that goes on the brake pad. I didn't install one, and I have that exact same noise from the same side as well. I hope the rotor isn't warped, since I replaced that about 3 months ago...

I believe the anti-rattle clip is there to keep the pad firmly in place. Without it you just wear your pad faster & uneven (because it's 'flopping around'). The disc is heavier material, so it should wear less then the pad.

thanks everbody, im going to take the wheel off again and check right now. I am certain now that it definatly has something to do with the brakes becuase I could drive around and not touch the brakes heavily and it would not do it, but as soon as I would lay on the brakes to come to a stop and I would start going again, after a little bit it would start to make the luka-luka sound again.

If you do, pay close attention to the caliper. Sounds for sure that it is sticking. Have someone help you buy 1st taking the wheel off & spin the brake disc. Tell them to step on the brake. Make sure you cannot turn the disk. Tell them to let off & retry spinning.

Hey savage 120, what caliber?

How'd you make out savage?

savage120 said:
you mean which brake caliber

No what caliber of Savage rifle?

fixed it it was a warped rotor against the brake pad after it warmed up, It has to have been becuase when I relaced the rotor it stoped. Thanks for al the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to hear. Feels good when it's fixed, huh?

Back