Rosie and I say Hi! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rosie and I say Hi!

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific Grove, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hello Everyone! My name is Stephen and I just bought my first 4x4 SUV. Her name is Rosie! :exporange :)

I am 32, single (any ladies on a truck forum:scratch:), rent an apartment (no garage), live alone (okay, the dining room is my garage), and have been in the Civil Engineering field for a little over a decade. I live on the Seasonless Central Coast of California. I'm usually a republican, always straight, and an omnivore (to clear things up for you outa staters). I like driving, looking at, discussing and working on cars. After having my wallet dented and my intelligence insulted by mechanics, I'm a do it yourselfer (DIY :hammer: :banghead: ).

I'm addicted to driving :burnout:. I put most of my $$ in the gas tank, wear out holes in my left sleeves and have extra bone and callous on my right heel. I prefer having time versus a map. I usually drive curvy mountain roads but look forward to dirt and trails. I'm stoked that my latest car is called an “Explorer”! I go to all 5 races each year at Laguna Seca, several Fridays at Ocean Speedway (Watsonville’s clay oval), brake hard for car shows, and attend a handful of Auto X and Drift events. I love road racing most, enjoy SQ systems, can put up with bikers, enjoy some Nascar, am interested in off road (now more than ever!), and think drag racing is like an ****** without sex (virtually pointless). I am a member of the NICO club forum with the same user name Centralcoaster33 :D.

Vehicle History:
Jennifer – 1993 Ford Probe (auto, 4 cyl., FF, blue) overheated, melted, R.I.P. :dead: – This was my first car. It was another Japanese Ford heche en Mexico. Even though she was a fix or repair monthly, when she ran she was so much fun to drive that I’ve been hooked ever since...

Boomin’ Granny – 1988 Olds' Cutlass Supreme (auto, 6 cyl., 2-door, FF, grey) sold :wavey: – I racked up 100,000 miles in one year and set off many car alarms with my stereo. I really should have kept this as my lo-pro beater but traded her for some beans.

Rebecca – 1996 Nissan 240SX SE (auto, 4 cyl., FR, teal) totaled during rain on the freeway by hydroplaning into the median, scary :dead: – this car opened my eyes to the world of rear wheel drive.

Vehicle Current:
Rebecca II – 1997 Nissan 240SX SE (5 spd, 4 cyl., FR, red) bent rear drifting into a curb :burnout::eek::splat:– this car opened my eyes further by adding a manual transmission to the fun. I intend to fix her, but for now, she’s the reason for my newest ride...

Rosie – 1992 Ford Explorer XLT (auto, 6 cyl., 4x4, red) ;) :thumbsup: – It has power windows, power locks, a working heater, probably AC, cruise control, leather, a CD player, original everything (including the coolant system) and 94,000 miles. Okay, I bought this RUNNING vehicle on Saturday for 500 bucks. Yes, legally! Of course she came with a short laundry list. Was that a good deal?

I don’t know exactly what I got, how to use it, or how to take care of it. So, I’ll have a handful of newb questions I plan to post on another thread... keep an eye out for me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, great first post. If she's drivable everyday with just annoying little things wrong with her and she doesn't have terrible rust than I would say you got a good deal.

94k miles? Umm, if you got that for $500 you got a really, really good deal. However, since there is no 6 digit odometers on the first gens, you could actually be at 194k. But anyways, good to have yah on the forums. See you around!

Welcome aboard. Love the central coast. Spent my high school years and 1 year of college a couple hours south of you in Atascadero/San Luis Obispo.

Hey, thanks guys! Wow, Ford wasn't very optimistic with a 5 digit odometer were they?! I guess it drives like 94K and not 194K but I probably would have paid $500 either way! Will my ECU know whats up? No real rust anywhere, just the usual wear (or, what I'm finding out is usual) seat covers (done), gooey steering wheel (covered), sagging DS door (done last night as my first tip from this forum!), temp guage dead (TSB found, temp sender replacement scheduled for tomorrow), shakes bad at 58+ so I think I'll start with a tire balance and go from there, and the previous owner was a slob so I need to disassemble, clean and rebuild the interior! All that and the maintenance I need to assume was not performed on a $500 vehicle.

Kriegen, South SLO county is my stomping ground! I graduated in '95 from AGHS, took some classes at Cuesta, hung out in Schmo, worked in SLO, lived in Grover and Oceano and have friends from A-town. What's in Bamma?

Kriegen, South SLO county is my stomping ground! I graduated in '95 from AGHS, took some classes at Cuesta, hung out in Schmo, worked in SLO, lived in Grover and Oceano and have friends from A-town. What's in Bamma?

Came to 'Bama in 93 with the military and stayed due to excellent job offer(s) after I got out of the military

welcome

Back