Rough Idle Almost Stalls. 4 Codes thrown, Check engine light on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle Almost Stalls. 4 Codes thrown, Check engine light on.

Toast

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
I have my 1998 Explorer Sport, with the 4.0 SOHC V6, Im baffled on what the problem currently is. I found another thread(This thread) about it may be a Vaccum hose, but I cannot find the elbow they are all talking about anywhere.

The codes that Im getting at

P0304 - Cylinder Misfire
P0305 - Cylinder Misfire
p0306 - Cylinder Misfire
P0175 - To Rich of a Mixture

I figure if I had 3 cylinders all misfiring, I would have a lot less power and more problems.

Can anyone point me to where the elbow that usually fails is? Pictures if possible

Thank You in Advance
-Stuart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my ranger did that one time it was the coil pack and the other time it was the egr vac hose. check the one on the back of your intake going to your egr and check your PCV the fiances explorer and the old ranger I had both the PCV 90's collapsed causing idle problems.

How does it run? I have seen this a couple times at the dealership and every time it was the timing jumped due to broken guides or tensioners.

I have a 1999 explorer with 4.0 sohc having similar problem. Mine throws the po304,po305,and po306 while it is running and has no power for a couple of minutes then starts running fine other than a unsteady idle after warm up and almost stalls. The codes are not stored in the computer and no check engine light on, only flashes when it has no power then turns off. I can,t figure it out. I have replaced the plugs, wires and coil and still have same problem. It runs fine other than at idle and while it's having the misfires.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

1999 explorer 4.0 v6 same problem but also gets BAD gas mileage. HELP, anybody?

i currently have the same problem cylinders 1,4,6 are misfiring also was running lean so i replaced my pcv and erased that code also i replaced all my spark plugs and wires cant figure out wats causing this problem

While I'm not familiar with the explorer SOHC engine. I do have experience with others & multiple cylinder misfires are almost always coil pack related.

thks my next purchase will be my coil pack will keep u updated

missing

Hey Toast,

Did you ever make any progress with this? I have the same exact issue with my 97 and I really don't like just throwing parts at it. It seems like this is pretty common on the forum but nobody has it figured out exactly.

Thanks for your help,
Jim

i did solve the problem i replace my coil pack and gain power in two of the three cylinders i still had a misfire in the #1 cylinders it was my spark plug after running the truck for long with this problem i wore out the spark plug, i also found a broken vacunm line that i had to replace becareful though because i went thru two coil packs that where defective and they cause alot of problems with those codes so pay attention to them before moving onthe only thing that cause a misfire after wires and spark plug replacement is the pack or the injectors good luck write me if the problem continues

Back