Rough idle, lights dim and AC skips a beat when Cooling Fan kicks in | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle, lights dim and AC skips a beat when Cooling Fan kicks in

allanes5

Reaction score
City, State
Managua
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Good day to all.

Started noticing on my 2017 Explorer XLT that every time the cooling fan kicks in, it experiences a rough idle for abou a second or two, if the interior lights are on they flicker and you can here the ac skips a beat.

The fan kicks in every 36 seconds and stays on for abou 8 seconds.

AC is cooling fine.

Help greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sounds like it could be a power (electrical) issue. Have you had the battery tested and confirmed that it is good? Alternator?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sounds like it could be a power (electrical) issue. Have you had the battery tested and confirmed that it is good? Alternator?

Peter
Well, the battery was changed about 4 months ago and usually (in my experience) when the battery starts to go you can here it having a hard time starting the car in the morning.
The car starts perfectly fine, don’t see any issues there.

Just compared my Exporer with another 2017 and found out that my cooling fan goes on full and off and keeps cycling full on and off. The other Explorer‘s cooling fan goes into low speed, instead of shutting off.
Cooling fan on mine skips the low speed.

Read some where that the problem could be due to a bad ac pressure switch.
Does this make sense? Can someone tell me where is the ac pressure switch located?

I solved the problem, well at least partially.
After checking all the fuses, fuse #22 electronic fan relay was blown.
Now, just wait to see if it blows again to find out whats casuing it.

Back