• Register Today It's free!

Rough Idle No Check Engine Light

Gary Sigmund

Reaction score
City, State
Pitman, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Explorer 5.0L AWD
Just had the OEM 5.0 Liter motor in 98 Ford Explorer replaced with a younger 80,000 mile from the junk yard. Experiencing a Rough Idle condition after engine has warmed up and stopped at traffic light - can’t get a fault generated. idle is intermittent as it is fine for 10-15 seconds then goes rough with a kean conditiin according to the mechanic. Already replaced EGR components and cleaned Mass Air Flow Sensor. Any ideas? Has anyone experienced this? Frustrating w/o Check Engine Light and a Fault Code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just had the OEM 5.0 Liter motor in 98 Ford Explorer replaced with a younger 80,000 mile from the junk yard. Experiencing a Rough Idle condition after engine has warmed up and stopped at traffic light - can’t get a fault generated. idle is intermittent as it is fine for 10-15 seconds then goes rough with a kean conditiin according to the mechanic. Already replaced EGR components and cleaned Mass Air Flow Sensor. Any ideas? Has anyone experienced this? Frustrating w/o Check Engine Light and a Fault Code.
Vacuum issue?
thanks m&m! Checked for hoses being disconnected throughout - no signs of any unattached hoses - in fact i disconnected vacuum line frim EGR valve and plugged it with a screw to try and force an EGR valve fault which eventually did set the check engine light and EGR fault; and when i restored the vacuum connection and cleared the fault the check engine light no longer set.

what is the best way to detect or expose a vacuum leak and its location?

Smoke it.

I can’t remember if the gen 2’s have the PCT valve on the left bank, but if they do, it might not hurt to check around there.

I had a cracked hose and it ran like absolute crap at idol. Never threw a COL during that adventure.

thanks Blue M&M!
maybe i can create a smoke machine and insert it - where is the best port of entry :)

i am also wondering if there may be a kink in the PCV valve hose or if i could have a bad coolant temperature sensor and maybe a fuel pressure regulator? not sure where to find those locations. - the idle breakdown is of type “lean condition” ~~ Siggie~~ Gary R. Sugmund

Drench your throttle body with carb / throttle body cleaner..... eliminate that possibility.......

If it regularly alternates between smooth and rough, it could be the A/C compressor cycling on in conjunction with a failing IAC valve, which you could test by keeping the HVAC shut off and/or cleaning the IAC.

Back