2001ExpSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Hey guys, long time no see.

I have a rough idle and hoping some of you can help.

It is more of a sputter than a rough idle. At a cold start up it runs smoothly, but when warmed it sputters about every few seconds. It will do this up to about 1500 rpm and then after that it runs smooth. The sputter also occurs while in drive at a cruising speed with the rpm at or below 1500. In this condition the vehicle will have a jerking motion or a feeling of driving into the wind on a gusty day.:rolleyes:

I have checked the Idle Bleed Solinoid, but it seems to be in good condition. Is it possible that it's just burned out and not operating properly? I don't get any codes on the OBDII.

I have done the battery disconnection thing with no change.

One of the guys at my work suggested injector cleaner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe a can of Sea Foam through the intake?

What does that stuff do?

yea, i agree with aldive. seafoam will do wonder for your car. it works by burning off the carbon deposits inside your engine and generally cleaning it out. seafoam your engine and it will feel like a new car.

injectors

Hmmm. Most of the time, but not always, dirty injectors cause a loss of performance, but not jerking while driving. Another possible culprit, a bad spark plug wire. The wire could have been bad from birth, and just gotten worse. (yes, it happened to me):) .
For what its worth, Chevron Techron was rated as best cleaner by a car mag (Motor Trend?) that hired an outside lab. They have a big and a little bottle. The big bottle is around $10 bucks. I used it on my moms Buick after reading the article years ago. One bottle helped, and another helped a whole buch! I have no experience with Sea Foam, but have seen it at NAPA.

Back