rough idle

espnfreak

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Elgin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
my truck idles rough every once in awhile it will have enough gas and then like die sorta and them make a normal idle, it does this sometimes and once it warms up, USUALLY it goes away. what the heck is it? its been bugging the hell out of me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

possibly part of the fuel delivery system is fualty... like injectors or fuel pump or IAC, FPR etc.

i hear the IAC sux and that ford might recall it.

My '99 Sport 4x4 SOHC will often do the same rough idle when it is cold, but I would describe it by saying when I am idling the engine jumps from idle to about 1500 rpm's, repeatedly.

I brough it to the dealer with that description and they said there were two recalls out that would fix it:

Recall 00S64 (Reprogram PCM with latest calibration)

Recall 00M12 Manifold gasket and timing chain (replace intake manifold gasket and replace timing chain tensioner)

This seemed to work. But that was last February and the problem is back now, so I am in your shoes now.

Try cleaning the MAS (mass air sensor?). Look for the thread on how to clean it (it's easy) under the repair section on this website. Good luck!

how much is a new IAC from ford? and can i tell myself if mine is blown? thankx guys

I had the same problem, and i cleaned my MAF sensor and it smoothed it out big time, i'd give it a try!

Back