Status
Not open for further replies.

bandit_45

Reaction score
City, State
Wiconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I JUST GOT 96 XLT WITH THE 4.0 WITH 5 SPEED AND I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT IDLING. AFTER SHE'S WARM UP SHE WILL RUN BELOW A 1 RPM. I TOOK OFF THE THOTTLE BODY AND CLEAN IT HOPE THAT WOULD FIX THE THE ROUGH IDLE BUT NO LUCK. I BELIEVE IT'S THE IDLE CONTROL VALVE. ANY TIPS WOULD BE HELPFUL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles on the truck?

well she has about 265,000 miles but looks like she was rebuilt because she cleaner then a whisle

Please do not post in all caps.

I would probably start by checking all of my plugs and wires, also resistance at the coil packs. If all is well there. I would probably move on to the fuel filter,
PCV(though doubtful), and clean the IAC.

These are all cheap, and any one could cause the issue. Though with these lovely electronic controlled vehicles it could be something else also.

Couple after thoughts. A very dirty air filter, or intake leaks could due this too.

Vacuum Leaks, if it is SOHC intake bolts could need re-torqued.

Run a can of Sea Foam through the motor, that stuff is great for "curing" idle worries.

well i replaced the iac but the problem still there just isn't as bad. the air filter is new. I check the plugs clean.
but the coil pack no clue. one thing i don't like is it looks like the intake is plastic. i was trying to find a new intake but no luck. tommorrow i will probably take the intake off and clean it. see what that does. question do you think it could be the mass air flow sensor going bad.

Nice....Posting in the chat room section, thats a first!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back