Rust on 98 Explorer Sport-advice needed on inner rocker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust on 98 Explorer Sport-advice needed on inner rocker

Is the inner panel welded to the frame?

It's mostly rocker panel areas. Took some pics of the rust on passenger side, as I'm starting to think this might be a bigger problem than I can chew. about 30% is rusted away. Needs a full replacement I think.

*pics all passenger side.

view from inside looking out nearest back tire.
truck%20022_zpst5zxbydn.jpg

front of vehicle, nearest back of door. you can see the outer rocker panel, then inner.

truck%20018_zpsizg8ofmj.jpg

nearest dog leg. See where the inner panel ends?

truck%20019_zps99hxjyyy.jpg

Is this a lost cause? Started out didn't realize the rust had really taken over.
I think I need to start pretending the whole side has been wrecked because it isn't very salvageable. There is 2 Upull salvage yards in the area that have explorers.

few more
truck%20013_zpsyoxv6a2d.jpg

truck%20024_zpshhsdxd3l.jpg

what it looked like before I started on it. See how the worst of it was hid? Back behind the trim it was rusting away...
truck%20004_zpsakjl1wcy.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh holy Lord.....

Quarter panel, inner rocker, outer rocker, possibly floor, at least.

:(

Oh holy Lord.....

Quarter panel, inner rocker, outer rocker, possibly floor, at least.

:(

The one thing I can't figure out with my pics and some of the rocker panel restoration threads. I see several inner rockers it seems. It looks like there is a structure on the steel body,

truck%20inner%20rocker%20005_zps4wdsa3bp.jpg

then a inner rocker that the outer rocker panel sits on (pic 2). Inside it looks like bridge.

truck%20inner%20rocker%20004_zps8elnqpra.jpg

When I've seen threads it looked people fabricated their own outer mounts and then welded the rocker panel on.

Yes. It's a hot mess. The local body shop wanted north of 5k (asked for fun) and said I could buy two more for the price.

yup. That is structural.

It's just about at the point of no return. I hate to say it, but you might be able to drive it for a little bit longer and then it's going to rust through and become unsafe.

mine were bad, but not that bad. all i did was found a clean 4 door and cut the inner and outer rocker off it. i then welded the back part of the rocker (middle of the rear door on a 4 door) to the front part. i also cut the bottom of the rear door off and welded it the the rocker. i shorten it by cutting the front part off (started fitting it from the rear forward) and it worked out fine.

It's just about at the point of no return. I hate to say it, but you might be able to drive it for a little bit longer and then it's going to rust through and become unsafe.

Not to be argumentative, but it IS PAST the point of no return and it is completely unsafe.

I keep reading words like "unsafe". It might be my fault for the pictures giving the impression the entire inner side panel (#7) is rusted. The pictures are taken 3 inches from rust areas that are mostly surface rust. The rest is sound but there is some areas that eaten up on the edges toward the rear tire. . I'd like to do a reinforcement piece. A friend of ours owns a welding shop and does auto welding so planned to have someone else look at it.

_57_zpsgsexc1e9.jpg

*pics are 4 door.

The worst is the inner rocker panel (#6) reinforcement and the rocker panel.
Those would be completely replaced.

I've also talked to the owner of one of the big pic & pulls 1/2 from here. They have two 2 door explorers and eight 4 door explorers. :thumbsup:

I thank you for your input. I find it very valuable.

The body of your vehicle is designed a certain way. in a collision the body is designed to absorb the energy from the impact AND channel the remaining energy around the passenger compartment. Even though its a full frame vehicle the body is still a unitised body. It functions as a unit. Certain portions do this, certain portions do that. When corrosion degrades the unitised body to the extent as in the photos the body will not perform as it should in the event of a collision. Portions that SHOULD be there are not there to perform the functions they should in a collision. Consequently, rather than structural part #7and #6 channeling energy around the passenger compartment, in its weakened state might well collapse and transfer collision energy into the passenger compartment.
Nothing short of a correct and complete replacement of the entire rusted area will yield safe and satisfactory results.

Sorry to be that guy...

Message received. If I have a wreck in it's current state I promise not to blame you. :salute::)

It's not a daily driver. I'm looking at either trading it in or having a professional repair it. From replies you've made on rust problems repairing isn't an option.

Back