Safety Recall 24S02/NHTSA Recall 24V031 | Feb 2024 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safety Recall 24S02/NHTSA Recall 24V031 | Feb 2024

throgmo

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific NW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer PIU
Just got this in the mail. Mine's a PIU, but perhaps this applies to all, as the parts in question are common to both.

recall 24V031.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I got this a month or more ago for my '14, not too concerned as mine does not look at all like it's about to come off.

Ha. Wonder why my notice took so long to arrive.

Would be nice to get new OEM parts put on my car. Especially if they've been re-engineered a bit. Currently they're aftermarket and I cracked one putting it on because the attachment method is... less than optimal. And possibly because I'm a little impatient. :)

Since my original still looks great and is not loose, I feel like having some grunt at the Ford shop replace it, risks the replacement being ham fisted in and potentially worse for it in the long run. Even so, if the original were to come loose later and cause someone else some damage, it would look bad on me for not having the recall done, so I suppose I'll go ahead and let them do it.

Yup. Got mine. Already done at dealer for almost $500 for 1 side. I believe I will be reimbursed. I'm not sure if now or when the next letter comes. The first pillar to fly off was covered under warranty with less then 10k miles on the truck. I wonder if they would want the truck in again if they changed the part or installation method.

Yup. Got mine. Already done at dealer for almost $500 for 1 side.
Good grief. The aftermarket item is about $35 per side on eBay. I replaced driver's side to fix the spotlight hole, and passenger because it was starting to come off by itself (bad clips).

I don't seem to have an issue with mine so I won't be taking it in, just more opportunities for someone to mess something up on my car.

Since my original still looks great and is not loose, I feel like having some grunt at the Ford shop replace it, risks the replacement being ham fisted in and potentially worse for it in the long run. Even so, if the original were to come loose later and cause someone else some damage, it would look bad on me for not having the recall done, so I suppose I'll go ahead and let them do it.

I'm on the fence as well. I checked both of mine and they seem tight. Will be 10 yrs old in less than a week (~130k miles).

I'd be curious to know what they are changing to 'improve' it.

I guess I'd thinking that if they Screw It Up (replacing it) at least it won't be too much work to fix that.

On the other hand, I never had my '14 taken in for them to inspect for CO leaks because I didn't want them doing something that intrusive if it came to pulling panels or carpet. I have a C0 detector (household type, not kept in vehicle) that I used to check it back then and there were no abnormal CO levels.

I get vibrations / buzzing from mine I can hear in the cabin at highway speeds, and both of the gaskets are split, so I might as well do it.

I don't seem to have an issue with mine so I won't be taking it in, just more opportunities for someone to mess something up on my car.
+1. If they go bad at some point, you can always take it in then. Otherwise, if it ain't fixed, don't break it, or something like that.

I wonder was this a voluntary action on Ford's part, or directed by the Feds? The wording of the recall is like, "We noticed a problem and want to fix it", but there's a NHTSA reference on the header as well as Ford's number. NHTSA document (link here) neglects to mention who initiated action.

As for re-engineering: "The remedy A-pillar trim components (BB53 7803682 AJW, BB53 7803683 AJW) will be installed with an additional adhesive for robustness and utilize an inspection procedure to ensure full engagement of all the retention clips during installation."

So: more glue, and the techs will be required to be diligent :D

Back