• Register Today It's free!

Safing Sensor Location

974drexp

Reaction score
City, State
North Vancouver, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL
Recently my airbag light has started occasionally flashing code 34, Driver Side Air Bag/Safing Sensor Circuit - Low Resistance or Shorted. Where is the safing sensor located? Is it part of the control module?

Thanks,

Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the reply. My truck does not have the wiring harness for the side airbags and yes, all the other items still work.

That's the link I checked and where I got the info that the code 34 I have flashing is for the drivers side safing sensor.

Try to clean the yellow plug under the seat. Check this link if that doesn't help: http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/airBag95.html. It might be a bad clock spring. Does your horn, and cruise control work?

Doesn't this only apply to '99 and later that have the harness for side airbags???? Also, I'm getting code 34, not 37 that seems to be related to the yellow plug issues.

there are lots of postings in this forum area for explorers. As suggested, try playing / cleaning the yellow plug / connector as this is a possible source of problems. IIRC, these are terminators which help the circuit function.

this is a "big post" ... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109287&highlight=air+bag+yellow+connector

the yellow plug "takes the place" of the side air bag... sort of

oookkkkaaayyy... maybe my bad... :-( but, inside the "quoted post", I see a chart which references "34 -> in the driver's air bag circuit". it says nothing about "side". Anyways, it also appears that you are correct about the yellow connector not being in the earlier models. With this, it would appear that you have a problem in the steering / air bag / clock spring area. Look for bare / shorted wiring.

remember when working with air bag system ... handle with care AND disconnect your battery for 15 minutes prior to "screwing around".

Back