SAS, driveshafts and springs

eeexploded

Reaction score
City, State
nyc
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xls
ok i finally found the perfect axle for my sas

but i want to have my truck lifted 6.5"+, and im goin to only move the axle founded about 1 1/4", but do you think ill need to extended my front driveshaft or should it work?

my rear will be soa with shackles, for 6.5" but will i need to extend my rear driveshaft?

with that much lift, and a 4" drop pitman arm, do you think ill have any major steering problems? will all my stock steering work with the d44?(not the linkage, the power steering and all)

what are the perfect front leaf springs?
and how hard would it be to make the stock sway bar would on a d44?

ohh by the way im swappin a wagoneer dana44 with leaf sprung suspension

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

eeexploded said:
but do you think ill need to extended my front driveshaft or should it work?
If you're running a d44, you shouldn't have to lengthen the front. The pinion is bigger so when you push the axle up and lift it more, it fits great with the stock one.

eeexploded said:
my rear will be soa with shackles, for 6.5" but will i need to extend my rear driveshaft?
I ran SOA w/ AAL (~8-9" total lift) and had to extend my driveshaft a few inches.

eeexploded said:
with that much lift, and a 4" drop pitman arm, do you think ill have any major steering problems? will all my stock steering work with the d44?(not the linkage, the power steering and all)
I'm running 8-9" of lift, stock pitman arm. It would be nice to raise it up and it would probably drive a bit better, but it's not that bad at all. Yours should be fine. The steering links may work. It all depends on what axle. I'm running a 77 Ford d44 and the tie rod worked with my stock explorer drag link and so my steering was basically free (other than later getting new TREs)

eeexploded said:
what are the perfect front leaf springs?
Perfect for flex...street....lift...?

eeexploded said:
and how hard would it be to make the stock sway bar would on a d44?
Should be pretty simple. Really, just leave the stock setup, weld some tabs on the front of the axle to bolt the lower part of the end link to, get some extended endlinks and it's done.

I would run Wagoneer springs. But which ones all depends on what you want to do.

i still need leaf springs! ok im wondering this, i found 6" lift springs for the wagoneer, these dont do a soa. would these work for me? since the explorer is lighter would i get more lift? and since im not goin soa, i wouldnt need hi steer would i?

thanks

A SUA SAS? Never seen that. But I imagine a 6" lift spring would put you right about the same height as mine is with stock springs in SOA configuration.

i never seen it either, but i do see 6" lifted wagoneers with front sua, and it sounds simpler

it doesnt matter i can run sua front and soa rear right?

In theory, sure. :D It's just SUA is not optimal for clearance. You're looking to stay away from SOA so you don't have to pay for high-steer?

it would be better to run a spring with less lift and to go with hi-steer......for off-roading SOA gives you so much better flex clearance...and hell it looks better too.

Back