Screw fell out from under dash & problem going in gear... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Screw fell out from under dash & problem going in gear...

This part recently snapped in my car would you happen to know what its called.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the magic screw that makes the whole truck work

actually I bet its a screw from the gauge cluster, don't worry there are 7, one missing isnt the end of the world. But I would have to see the screw to confirm

no he lost the screw that holds the linkage brack on the shifter.

I am a machinist and i need that shifter screw myself, i can make it if someone can please tell me the size.

Silly bolt

Had this same problem. Wormed my way under my steering column with an Allen wrench. Took about 2 minutes to fix. Tightened up the adjacent bolt. It was a tad loose also. Shifter is tighter now than ever. Easy project.

show graph

I recently had this same problem but found this website and it told me exactly what to find and how to fix it. So I thought I would add a photo to help others with this problem
IMG_0203.jpg

Its not easy to get under there and fix it but it can be done, also I found it easier to put the shifter in neutral to help align the two bolts. Hope this helps
:rangerred:

great, I just found what I was looking for, my shifter is loose also but the bolt has no fallen yet, will check first thing in the morning, thanks guy for posting this.

P.S. my left door lock spring also broke, just like somebody up there in a post also said, seems like this is common in explorers, fixin't it will be a bitc*

great, I just found what I was looking for, my shifter is loose also but the bolt has no fallen yet, will check first thing in the morning, thanks guy for posting this.

P.S. my left door lock spring also broke, just like somebody up there in a post also said, seems like this is common in explorers, fixin't it will be a bitc*

Replacing a door handle really isn't that hard. As an option you just add a spring from bottom of the rod to the door lock retaining clip. I think there's a sticky on doing that. I've done it both ways. There's a youtube video on replacing the outside handle. If you own an Explorer you will need to know how to replace inside and outside door handles eventually.

I just found the torque spec for these screws buried deep in the service manual (under steering column disassembly.). These should be torqued to 10-13 ft/lb.

The book says these are the bolts for the "transmission selector lever arm and support."

As soon as it gets warm enough again, I'm gonna going to back mine out again put Loctite on them this time and torque them down. I've been in their way too many times. Mine loosen up every couple of months. Royal PITA.

I just found the torque spec for these screws buried deep in the service manual (under steering column disassembly.). These should be torqued to 10-13 ft/lb.

The book says these are the bolts for the "transmission selector lever arm and support."

As soon as it gets warm enough again, I'm gonna going to back mine out again put Loctite on them this time and torque them down. I've been in their way too many times. Mine loosen up every couple of months. Royal PITA.

At only 10-13 ft lbs, make sure you use Loctite on them. I think I'd use the red Loctite rather than the blue.

Did you have the same problem with the keys?
Silly bolt

Had this same problem. Wormed my way under my steering column with an Allen wrench. Took about 2 minutes to fix. Tightened up the adjacent bolt. It was a tad loose also. Shifter is tighter now than ever. Easy project.

I started my 1997 XLT auto trans today & when I put it into drive a shiny gold colored (torx head?) screw fell on the floor from under the dash. I then drove to my local grocery store & when I went to put it into park, it was in reverse. I moved the shifter to the far right and then went back to the left & got it into park.

When I got home I removed the 2 piece plastic housing over the steering column hoping to find the empty hole but no luck. I re-assembled it so I could go to a birthday party and have a closer look later & now it will not even start! I get a fast chime. (Faster than seat belt chime)

Any ideas what happened?

Thank you so much in advance!

JKL

The wife's car, a 2001 Explorer Sport had the same issue. I installed the screw and tightened the other one (about three complete revolutions) and she is thrilled that it was fixed with some research and time.

Thanks loads!

If you can't see the bolts, take the plastic knee cover of from under the steering column. you have to undue the hood release then the bottom screws. the top of the panel pops up and put. Then there is a steal crash plate to unbolt. Everything should be visible from there with the column covers off. Your shifter has a clamp plate around the column and a small clip underneath way back on the right that attaches to a wire that goes up and around to the instrument cluster and into the gear indicator. there must be other loose bolts because it sounds as if your bracket is shifting (due to the missing bolt) if it was off totally you wouldn't be able to change at all. Check them all.
What size is the bolt ? I am missing 1. Please help. Tightening the one side helped a lot but missing other bolt.

Remove the other one and use it to buy one from the hardware store
¢30

Use lock tight
I know what screw it is
Classic problem
Look under your floor mat
Don't strip it

T30 is the size of the bit to remove it not the thread and pitch dimensions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back