Seafoam through Throttle Body (with Pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seafoam through Throttle Body (with Pics)

Bmwz389

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Ok so I am about to run some Seafoam through my truck soon because I know it needs it...92 XLT with over 171,000 miles on it =)

So I've read countless threads about Seafoam and where to put it. I know that there are 3 main options (as far as running through vacuum lines goes):

Through the Brake booster line
Through the PCV Valve
Through the Vacuum line under the throttle body

I know where the first to are. The rake booster seems easy to do, but the pcv valve seems really hard to get to, and the line is so small that it looks like it wouldn't even turn upwards to the sky.

I read the infamous Seafoam insertion point (w/ pics), page to page, over and over, and I haven't seen anything about how to run it through the pcv valve or the line under the throttle body.

Here are some pics of what I think is the line:

Vacuum Line.jpg

Here it is from the side:

Vacuum Line From Side.jpg

Now can a pro, or someone who has ran it through the line under the throttle body help me figure out if this is the one.

BUT, if this is the one, I believe I can go buy a connector and some vacuum line, or the use the line from the bi-metal sensor on the sir box (since its not connected to anything anymore) to run it and stick the line inside the bottle and let it suck away =) Does this sound right??

Please help. I'm so close to doing it, and I don't wanna do it wrong...

Thanks in advance guys!

- Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody has anything?

Come on I see 35 damn people have looked at this lol.

yes indeed that is the vaccum line that will feed all cylinders which is what you want.... why not just use the vaccum hose thats already there? you do know that its connected to 2 or 3 other vaccum lines right infront of the drivers side headlight? just simply disconnect there and use that... hope this helps :) be patient answers will come, let me assure you that your X has given you 171k so far 5 more hours without seafoam isnt gonna hurt ;)
hope this helps ya out,
~troy~

haha your a funny guy =)

Thanks alot though. I have no idea how the vacuum system runs. I've looked at the sticker under the hood and ran hundreds of times and barely ever find anything lol.

I'll take a look at it tonight with a flashlight and see if I can find lines down by the headlight.

Have you ran it through this line before?

Thanks again!

Ok so I took a look down by the driver's side headlight for the lines and you were right. I noticed that line the other day but I had no idea what it ran to, so I didn't wanna touch it yet.

I noticed it runs from that line in the previous pictures, and I noticed it ran to a sensor? through the line then runs to these 2 black cannisters then the line runs out of the system somewhere.

This is a picture of the cannisters:

Canisters.jpg

This is a picture of the Line with the sensor on it that the line from the throttle body comes from:

Line.jpg

What is the sensor and what are the cannisters? I am really looking forward to running the seafoam through my system soon so any help???

Thanks again guys!

- Brandon

bump because I added pictures...

That is the charcoal canister. It's an emissions thing. Do not use the line that goes to this. You will screw it up.

so then why does it run straight to the throttle body?

So then why does it run straight to the throttle body?

Ok so then can someone point to the right spot other than the brake booster line? Something that hits all cylinders? Possibly pictures and/or details so I can understand it clearly??

Thanks again!

Opps sorry about that lol. Internet lagged and i dunno what I did lol

i ran the foam at the line under throttle body no problem just pull off line their take a 2 foot piece of spare vac tube stick in bottle an run other end up to short steel tit under throttle bod

Right that's the way to do it. Don't use the vacuum line you pull off. Make a piece & stick that to the TB & then suck up the seafoam.

Ok thanks alot guys! I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. I just had to replace another damn part in this truck today...the PBB went out and I had no brakes, could've went through end of the streets owners house if i wouldn't have had the e-brake redone....

Back