Seat belt extender for Limited - help needed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat belt extender for Limited - help needed.

dumalkin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Limited AWD 2012
Hi,
I live abroad, and just got my Limited EX.
Turns out, baby car seat that we use can not be installed on side seats on 2nd row (due to inflatable seat belts), and must be put on the passenger seat, middle seat on the second row on in the 3rd row.
Passenger seat is not safe, 3rd row is usually folded and used for baggage, so it leaves me with the only option - 2nd row in the middle.

But unfortunately length of the seat belt there is not enough to attach to the rear-facing car seat (it has 2 anchoring points, and the belt can not be threaded through the far one when car seat is in "flat down" position).

I know that in USA one can get seat belt extender for Ford models from Ford dealerships.
Unfortunately this is no case here, in Israel.
They send me to some 3rd party accessories shop, who can sell me only "generic" extender, China based and not rated by any standard institution.

So I am looking for some "good Samaritan ;)" who can help - take this extender from dealership and send it to me. Obviously I will pay all postage expenses prepaid via PayPal - if shipped by USPS is should be around $10-$15.

I do not try to save money, shipping will cost around the same sum they want me to pay here, just want to use OEM seat bell extender.

If you can help, send me private message.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To be honest, if your car seat doesn't support the LATCH system, you need a new car seat, not a seatbelt extender.

Agreed- you need a new car seat that will enable use of the LATCH system instead of a pass through seat belt pocket.

99% of car seats sold here do not use latch system.
I don't know anyone who uses isofix/ latch based car seats,
and most of my friends have 2 or 3 children.
I am not familiar with history of the latch system, but I think Israel of today is approximately USA 20 years ago ( in this, and not only this issue)

There are instructions in the owners manual for using the outboard rear seats (with the inflatable belt) for attaching car seats. The main difference is that in most cars the inertial reel is in the shoulder harness. On the Ex the inertial reel is in the lap belt. You also do not need to use the locking clip that may have been provided with the car seat. Bottom line is read your owners manual and you should be alright. The inflatable belts are new and different from what everyone is used to. Just don't clamp anything to the shoulder belt and you will be fine.

There are instructions in the owners manual for using the outboard rear seats (with the inflatable belt) for attaching car seats. The main difference is that in most cars the inertial reel is in the shoulder harness. On the Ex the inertial reel is in the lap belt. You also do not need to use the locking clip that may have been provided with the car seat. Bottom line is read your owners manual and you should be alright. The inflatable belts are new and different from what everyone is used to. Just don't clamp anything to the shoulder belt and you will be fine.

The problem of the outboard seats in 2nd row it the thickness of the belt.
It can not be threaded through the openings in the car seat.
I read Ford instructions, but they are generic, and obviously can't guarantee EVERY car seat will fit (our model is from Holland, called Mutsy, don't know if they sell on USA market as well).

This is rather long car seat, that opens to be completely flat, and that moves second anchoring point (that is near child head) to be too far from the backseat - thus I want extender.

We used this car seat on Fiat and Passat without any problem.

Thick inflatable belt doesn't fit the narrow opening at all, and may be, if it would fit, it would be too short as well - but I don't want extenders on those belts, looks too hitechy and complex system to insert something unapproved there.

How about ebay? Just searched and there are a ton of them.

I can't find any with "ford 2011 explorer seat belt extender"
Or they are the same on all ford 2011 models ?

Just type in Ford seat belt extender. I would assume they are all the same.

First, for a new car seat with Latch - try amazon.com - I'm sure it could be shipped.

Second, did you try www.fordparts.com?

Using ""ford 2011 explorer seat belt extender""
I can't find it on amazon neither.
On ford parts - I entered my vin number, but can't find anything using "extender" or just "belt" keywords (seems strange, they supposed to have regular seat belts, aren't they ?)

Just type in Ford seat belt extender. I would assume they are all the same.

I see different types of connectors on their photos.
Will take a picture of mine, and try to match.

But anyway thanks, good idea :)

I found this site
http://store.moreofmetolove.com/ford-seat-belt-extension.html
but according to their "compatible vehicle table" Ex 2011 isn't compatible with any of their supported belt extender types.
I'll take measurements of seat belt connectors tomorrow, and try to match and see if they are different, or just EX is too new and didn't make it into the table.

Back