• Register Today It's free!

Seat Swap Question

JibbyMac15

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer Base
Alright guys, I did my searching all day. Literally all I did today besides searching for salvage yards that had 5th gen explorers. My wife bought herself a base model explorer yesterday because the deal was better than the sports or limiteds they had. I really want to put leather seats in but can't find any explorer seats.

So my question is, what other model seats fit in the explorer? There's a guy over in Austin that has the rear bench seat in black leather, which is what I want. So I really just need the front buckets.

If anyone on here in Texas, Oklahoma or New Mexico has some black buckets that would be willing to trade for my cloth sandstone, that'd be awesome. Or if they have some for sale, preferably with heated and cooled seats too, but I'll take plain black leather of course.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright guys, I did my searching all day. Literally all I did today besides searching for salvage yards that had 5th gen explorers. My wife bought herself a base model explorer yesterday because the deal was better than the sports or limiteds they had. I really want to put leather seats in but can't find any explorer seats.

So my question is, what other model seats fit in the explorer? There's a guy over in Austin that has the rear bench seat in black leather, which is what I want. So I really just need the front buckets.

If anyone on here in Texas, Oklahoma or New Mexico has some black buckets that would be willing to trade for my cloth sandstone, that'd be awesome. Or if they have some for sale, preferably with heated and cooled seats too, but I'll take plain black leather of course.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all.

First, your vehicle doesnt have the software and programming for the heated and cooled seats so it wont work.

Second, the seats, when detached from the vehicle will throw a DTC code. They are connected through software. When upfitters take the seats out for aftermarket equipment they usually through a code.

Jason can fill in the technical side better than I but Im pretty sure the vehicle seats are tied in through airbag module.

There would be nowhere to plug those seat control wires into.

Plus your HVAC Instrument Panel wont have the buttons or programming.

First, your vehicle doesnt have the software and programming for the heated and cooled seats so it wont work.

Second, the seats, when detached from the vehicle will throw a DTC code. They are connected through software. When upfitters take the seats out for aftermarket equipment they usually through a code.

Jason can fill in the technical side better than I but Im pretty sure the vehicle seats are tied in through airbag module.

There would be nowhere to plug those seat control wires into.

Plus your HVAC Instrument Panel wont have the buttons or programming.

The airbag system wouldn't be an issue. The pre-tensioners and side airbags should be common parts.

Plus each seat has its own harness.

There are two passenger harness to seat harness interconnects, depending on options (looks like biggest factory is if you have memory seats).

Base and Leather seat options have the same connector for airbags.

Heat and cooled seats are out of the questions.

Powering the seat movement will probably be the biggest hurdle.

Since my post was deleted due to being a "duplicate" I guess I'll re-word it.

I'm posting here to see if you can swap in Heated/cooled seats in a 2014 limited if you only have heated currently. I am wondering if the wiring harness and mounts are compatible assuming one could get a hold of the seat itself.

My other post (in its appropriate forum) is about the MFT software hack.

Is this possible to swap out after market?

This is the dumbest thing i have heard of in a long time.

Back