• Register Today It's free!

Seats & seat belts

Smurfslayer

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
I have a '91 exploder EB 4x4, tan int. w/ about 165k miles or so. The interior looks it. My front seats are uncomfortable, ripped and the belts are problematic...

I have the old style seatbelt latches (like the '70's era cars) in which you depress the square button to release the belt. My Mother in law finds herself in the exploder frequently enough for this to be a problem. She's handicapped, overweight, and cannot manipulate the seat belts, so somebody has to belt her in. :frustrate

Can the belt 'fastener(s)' be swapped to the newer style that you simply push downward on to release the belt ?

What about seats? the ones I have (stock) are hideously uncomfortable. :shoot: What year / type of seats would fit in the '91 EB (not worried terribly about lumbar, but they would have to move back & forth... I *think* my seat is manually adjusted...

TIA
:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I recall, the seat belt fastener is part of the seat, so if you replace the seat, you should get a new one. Either way, you can just swap the fastener from a newer model (up to either 2000 or 2001, can't remember; whichever one was the last year for the 2nd gen). The seats (and some other parts) can be swapped out without fabrication.

my mom has a 00 and hers have the botton on the top. Just thought i would add that

Regarding the seatbelts, I'm pretty sure my '94 has the "push downward release" and the only part you need to replace is the receiving portion of the seat belt. It should be bolted to the floor near the console.

Thanks !

for all the replies so far, now that I have some confirmations, I have a lot fewer part numbers to search for !

Anybody got any input on the seats themselves ?

Back