Second times a charm! P

bschmidt10

Reaction score
City, State
outside Philly
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer platinum
Hey guys

So originally I built a ‘16 platinum in December or January of 15/16. It was the dark metallic gray, they had just started offering the black seats, captains chairs in the 2nd row with the arm rest. I’m able to get it under the D plan, and they were offering a 0%apr for 60 months. Everything was going great and then they put a hold on the build for parts. The vehicle ends up showing up April 5th. After the 0% was no longer available. The next best deal was going to end up costing about $900 more and the dealer wouldn’t budge on the price to compensate. I stuck to my guns and ended up walking away from it.

Figured at this point, I’d either wait for another great dealer deal, or wait for a good one to come off lease.

Fast forward to last Thursday, I happen to just go on truecar, punch in platinum, and scroll down to the cheapest one. $27995. It is black with cream seats, captains chairs in the back but no center console. The vehicle had 87,000 miles on it which actually sparked my interest in a good way. That’s an average of near 120 miles a day. So I decide to drive the 2 hours and take a look at it. My biggest worry is that it was used for a limousine company or uber or the like.

I get there and the car is in tip top shape, I don’t think the passenger seat was barely ever used. I find the original salesman’s card in the glove box and give him a call. He told me that they have worked with that company for years, and it’s a guy that has to travel 250 miles 3x a week. He even told me it’s a smaller guy so the drivers seat is still probably in good shape too, which it was.

It has new tires, new brakes, the typical rock chips for being on the highway for 87000 miles, but besides that it almost feels like a brand new vehicle. The interior is perfect. Oil changed every 8,000 miles, and walked out the door after taxes and tags etc for $30 grand.

Any advice for getting the rock chips fixed? There’s pretty many so I’d assume they’d have to repaint the hood and blend, instead of just trying to spot fix all of them.

First up on the list is getting all the fluids changed, trans, differential, etc. I just ordered the second row console, and the cross bars (I have a camera that elevates to 25ft to film my kids soccer games that I have to put up top)

My wife has a 2011 MKS with the regular 3.5 awd, and I’m loving the power of the ecoboost. I’m looking forward to getting some more hp out of it without taking away from the quiet ride.

Welcome to the site! Better late than never on the Explorer, right? Guessing it's going to need to be repainted if the chips are that bad. Of course if black really isn't your first color choice you could have it vinyl wrapped in another color and that would hide the chips.

Welcome to this forum! Sometimes the body shops have a difficult time trying to match old paint to new paint. Any time you paint a vehicle it might be noticeable (unless you could find a body shop which knows how to match it perfectly).

Back