serious steering rack problem!!! Need help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

serious steering rack problem!!! Need help!

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
I have had a shudder in my steering for a couple months now. I have changed out all 4 ball joints, outer tie rods, and drivers side inner tie rod. The shudder is still there when turning the wheels back and forth while vehicle is stopped. The shudder also shows up along with a binding sound while making slow turns.

My inner tie rod on the drivers side had noticable play when I pulled on it. After I replaced it, it still has that movement. Is my steering rack shot? How can I check the rack? Would anything else cause this shudder & binding like wheel bearings, u-joints, cv joints?

Please help...I have been trying to fix this problem for months and it's kickin my ass.

Thanks-Brian

It's either the rack or the pump.

is it full of power steering fluid?

does it make the binding noise when you're getting close to full turn?

have someone sit in the truck and turn the wheel to see if the noise is comming from the rack or the pump.

For $5 at an auto-parts store you can get a stethescope that has a sharp point on the end.. works wonders for finding the origin of noises- just becauseful, i hit the cooling fan or pulley's a few times with one on and it is VERY lowed and probably not good for your ears ;)

Back