• Register Today It's free!

Shaking when driving

Yng_pnk

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
ok, When i am driveing first gear is normal second is normal but when i get into 3rd it seems like the timeing is off and the whole car shakes and the faster i go in 3rd the worse the shakes get. Anyone have this problem? Someone was tellling me it was u joints. I just got the top half of my 4.0 rebuilt. And now it can actually break tread now :) how do i check the u joint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be simple as mud in the wheels, could be something entirely different........ it's tough to judge what some customers use as nomenclature. "Timing is off and the whole car shakes..." being an unfortunate example. Maladjusted timing just ain't gonna do that.

Is the shake a vibration - a surge - up and down - back to front?

I had a constant vibration in the front end of my used Ex I purchased at 94K. New front rotors, wheel bearings and break pads smoothed things out. Alignment, shocks and new tires finished the job. My Ex rides pretty good now for a twin I beam truck.... Any vibration will be exagerated as you increase your speed. You need to find out if it's drive train or tire/rim/bearing related. rc

the shaking is weird i took it in to the local tire guys to see if the balance was off they said nope. The vibration only comes when im on the gas if i let off it stops, its so bad it shakes my side rear view mirror. What else couyld do this>?

Ok.... information is good... information is our friend...

With the little bit I've got, I'll recommend checking the u-joints - now remember, not only can a u-joint be too loose, it can also be too tight and the only good way to check them is to pull the driveshaft right out. Whilst you have the shaft out, check for large dings or "barber-poling".

I would agree U joints are suspect especially if it gets worse with acceleration. I had some in a 68 ford that had u joint bearings that turned to powder after about 150K. To eliminate wheel bearings, you can get your X up to about 65 or so and carefully shift to neutral in a safe location where you can coast and observe. If you hit the gas with the car in neutral and it gets worse, it's probably engine/engine mount etc. If vibration is the same as you coast, it still could be a wheel bearing that is worn out and possibly drive line as that is still turning. You can check U joints by stopping, pressing the break and shifting from forward to reverse with the windows down and listening for a clunk. When you accelerate with bad U joint it will cause the car to shake pretty bad with acceleration. rc

I concur..

RJC is absolutely right on with his diagnosis....Try the neutral rev/shift but early trannys also 'clunk' so you should physically check the U-Joint by turning the axle manually and if it turns more than approx. 5-7 minutes (clocks are universal) it's the U-Joint.

NOW....All that being said...considering the age and mileage of your X you might as well drop the driveshaft as mentioned before to inspect and replace the U-Joints.

Grab a Chilton's, a buddy, a case of beer, a U-Joint Puller and 2 hours and go for it....
:chug:

Back