• Register Today It's free!

shift lever

swamprat

Reaction score
City, State
lexington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 broncoII
I got a 89 BII that had the FM146 and somebody swapped in a M5od. The shifter boot doesnt fit like it should. Did the Explorer use a different shift boot for the 5sp and transfer case lever than the BII? If so do you know where one is?

Thanks Robert

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a 89 BII that had the FM146 and somebody swapped in a M5od. The shifter boot doesnt fit like it should. Did the Explorer use a different shift boot for the 5sp and transfer case lever than the BII? If so do you know where one is?

Thanks Robert

The FM146 and FM145 shifters come out in about the same place. The M5OD is further forward to the dash.

Yes they are different.

FM146 with manual t-case trim.
partssell007.jpg

M5OD with manual t-case trim
partssell012.jpg

That makes sense. It work fine(old shifter boot) untill I pull it into 4 low. Know where I can get one. I have checked all the local yards. Every Explorer is auto or trans is gone with shifter. Thanks for the pics. 100% proof that I wasnt crazy.

That makes sense. It work fine(old shifter boot) untill I pull it into 4 low. Know where I can get one. I have checked all the local yards. Every Explorer is auto or trans is gone with shifter. Thanks for the pics. 100% proof that I wasnt crazy.

I might be able to part with mine!

Back