4R70W Shift Lever | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R70W Shift Lever

pfw_dfw

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Limited
I need an AODE shift lever for a 1994 to 1995 Mustang. I am moving the 4R70W from my now T-Boned 1996 Explorer to my 1969 351 Mustang. Yes I have a Baumannator TCS.

I need an aode Shifter and cable as well....

I have a 1971 CJ Case small block C-6 for sale too.

I'm putting the shift kit into this thing and when I do I'd really like to have the shift lever ready to go in.

Paul

3 Explorers.... 1996, 1998, 1999 all RWD V8 xlt's.. The 1996 is dead... waaaaa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and have you done any work internally yet? The performance applications need the best parts, including the mechanical reverse clutch for example. I'm about to pull my spare 99 4R70W apart soon for building.

Also, is that Mustang for best performance, best acceleration regardless of fuel mileage? The wide ratio planetaries of the 4R70W is not the best choice for max acceleration. The big drop from 2nd to 3rd gear is not good in the 4R70W. I would swap the planetary for a close ratio unit from an AODE. That changes the 1st and 2nd gears, bringing them closer to 3rd, which is always 1:1 gear. If you do that, then go with higher ring/pinion ratios, like 4:30's instead of 4.11's etc. Take 2.84/2.46 and multiply that by your current gears, that will equate to the same 1st and 2nd gears of the 4R70W. Regards,

With over 400ft/lbs from 2500 up to 5800RPM I'm not too worried about any drop in RPM I'm in the torque curve the whole time. I also pull a boat and on the boatramp the 4R70W will work just fine. I've run the 4R70W in my 1988 Supercharged 5.0 Convertible Mustang without incident for YEARS and love the performance. So to each his own!

Again, I need a shift lever...

Paul

Very good, I'm not going to make enough power for a long time to need the closer ratios. Towing does have a need for the higher ratio low gears though, which can be handy.

For the shift lever are any of the AOD levers the same, or is the AODE part different?

in my 88 Bronco II I have a 97 4r70w from an Explorer.
I am using a floor shifter from a 96 Mustang which includes the O/D button in the handle.
I also filed down some detents into the stock shifter so when off roading I cna force it to stay in 1 or 2 (stock it just slips right to drive)

in order to convert the 4r70w to work with the mustang shifter I needed:

96 mustang shifter pawl (shift lever that goes through the trans case), $20 from Ford better then laying in ATF at the junk yard
the 96 floor shifter (obviously, local Mustang parts place, $60 complete, also on Ebay for CHEAP, make sure you get the cable, it will have the bracket that bolts to the transmission on it, they are one piece)

This setup works 100%, its flawless, its factory parts, and it clears my front driveshaft

I have pictures in my BII registry thread in my signature....towards the end I just finished this mod last week.

I did not want a column shifter, so the Mustang shifter was a natural fit.

Any aftermarket shifter designed for the AOD-E will also work, but there can be some fab required for those and unless you spend $300 or so the shifters available are not that good IMO

I would like an Art Carr gate shifter, but for under $100 I have a wicked setup with a built in OD button :)

shiftplatecut.jpg

shiftmounted.jpg

Back