interscope8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Purdue University
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
Shock Install - How To

I ordered my shocks a loooong time ago, but just moved into the dorms at Purdue and havent had time to install them. I just now got around to it and doing my shackles too! So here is the write up for the Shock install. I'm sure there's a million on here, but not many people have access to a lift and DSLR camera :p

I am not responsible for anything that may and can happen to you or your vehicle. This is documentation of how I did the modification specified. Do this at your own risk.

Shock Install - The Procedure

This was a pretty easy project, the night before soak all the bolts down with PB Blaster and you will be good to do the next day!

So to begin, get ur truck jacked up and off the ground!

The front shocks have 15mm nuts. I popped the hood open and found the tops of the shocks, others did it from the sides, and looking back it seems alot easier haha. Here is the shocks from the engine bay.

Driver Side (Left the socket on lol, just follow it down in the pic and there it is)
DSCN1169.jpg

Passenger Side:
DSCN1170.jpg

Now get on under it and find the TWO bolts holding the bottom of the shock on. I actually had to use some heat and cut these off... they were on tight but get those two off and the shock should pull right out. The process is the same for each side of the vehicle.

The rear is kinda tricky...
Remove your spare. This is a must! Next loosen your Evap. Canister. This will let you get to the top of the shock.

Loosened Evap. Canister
DSCN1159.jpg

Top of the Shock (sorry it was blurry :( )
DSCN1160.jpg

Then unbolt the bottom and throw ur new ones on! Thats pretty self explanatory if you've made it this far.

New Rear Shocks:
DSCN1167.jpg

New Front Shocks:
DSCN1176-1.jpg

Useful Links
Shock Install -
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223149

Where I got my Shocks -
http://4wheelonline.com/Rancho_RS5000_Shocks.150442.1354

If anyone has anything to add I will put it here!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good stuff scope, now your trucks rear end looks just like mine! did you have any trouble loosening the tope rear left shock bolts? i had a hell of a time fitting my hands up there to loosen those little *******s, even after i pulled the evap can.

Air Impacter helped out a lot :p

Yep, body lift makes it really nice to work on the truck for anything.

Back