Should I buy a new X?

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
To those of you who have a new V8 Explorer/Mountaineer...

I was thinking of buying a new Explorer....

I currently have a 99 Mountaineer 5L with a Powerdyne blower, TMH, gibson catback and runs great. Not only is it reasonable quick it tows my camper very well. (It is in excellent shape cosmetically and mechanically)

Having that said, would I be happy with a new Explorer 4.6L with the 6 speed other than the fact that it is new?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nope

I know opinions will vary greatly...but I was in a similar situation as you. I had a 99 5.0 AWD EB...perfect shape. Have an 06 V8 4x4 now....sure it is new with some bells and whistles and is much much quieter....but if I had to choose again I would have got a different vehilce or even hung on to my 99 longer. The new 6 speed has had all kinds of shifting problems...just take a few minutes and look through this forum at all the folks with the problem. Also, the 06 has a lot of areas where you can tell Ford was trying to cut costs....just some cheap looking materials inside and out that I can tell won't age well. Hang on to your old girl for a bit longer or look elsewhere imho.

gh67 was spot on with my thoughts! the '07 limited in dark cherry is beautiful, but immediatly i saw wiring assemblies all over the engine compartment that weren't covered. no tape, no protective loom. so yeah i thought alot of corners were cut. i'm still very happy with the '03.

the 3 valve v8 sounds nice. power seems good, but delivery sucks. don't know if it's the electronic throttle body, the VVT that's supposedly in there, or the TC in the trans. putting your foot down at speed gives you alot of noise with little created extra momentum.

and yes i think the 6 sp trans is a time bomb.

BUT, with my dad driving he get's (via display) ~22mpg. v8 4x4, mixed driving.

ymmv
parker

I have an 07 EB cherry metallic. It is with out a doubt the nicest riding, looking and feeling car you can get for $25K new.

The interior quality is much higher than the previous generations(such as a 99 which I had previously) I have wired my car for a sub and installed all new speakers and did not notice there being less insulation on the wiring.

Also.. the interior noise level, stability and ride are unbelievable compared to the previous Gen. 2 explorers.

Just my opinion.

The interior quality is much higher than the previous generations(such as a 99 which I had previously) I have wired my car for a sub and installed all new speakers and did not notice there being less insulation on the wiring.

Also.. the interior noise level, stability and ride are unbelievable compared to the previous Gen. 2 explorers.

Just my opinion.

true statements, but my vision has been clouded by 5 trips to the dealer for loose trim (outside and inside) and a clunking/jerking 6 speed (comes with the V8).

I have an 06 which has given me two years of good service. I have taken it to my dealer twice. Once to have the a body side molding re-attached, and once to have the transmission re-flashed. Both times the dealer has cheerfully and promptly repaired the problems under the new vehicle warranty. Guess I have yet to own a vehicle which has been totally trouble free (I have owned both Chevy's and Fords) We take quite a few family trips in our ex and it is a great vehicle to travel in.

I had a '96 2WD V8 with a ton of mods. Still ran and looked great at 182K miles when I sold it. Needed something with a 3rd row, so opted for a new '06, also 2WD V8.

The '96 is like a stone axe in comparison. Though I liked its styling and the smaller size, the new one is quicker, and rides/handles way better, even though I had the full EE kit on the '96. With the upgraded wheels/tires, the difference is even greater. Yeah, the 6 speed auto is a little quirky, and I can't understand why Ford didn't allow for 5th gear to be manually selected, but I thought the 4R70W in the '96 was one of the slushiest / most unresponsive automatics I've ever driven, and I've had a lot of different cars in the past 30+ years.

I've got 25K miles on it, and it's been to the dealer once for minor warranty stuff. Aside from that, it's been trouble-free. My only real complaint, aside from the 5th gear thing, is that there aren't enough small storage spaces up front; I miss the one at the bottom of the console in the '96. Also, it's way too high, and no one makes a lowering kit for it yet, but, hopefully, that'll be remedied soon.

Mine is a 06 V6. It is the best Ford I have ever owned. With almost 12,000 on the ODO, I have never been back to the dealer. Got X-plan minus $5000 rebate. No complaints here.

Lots of folks are annoyed by their V-8 trannies tho.

I have an 07 EB V6 and we enjoy it very much. With over 9,000 on the clock it has yet to go back to the dealership. Looking forward to playing with it in the snow.

My biggest beef........ chrome clad...... The wheels look nice, but that's about it.... (I know I still got them, the wife loves them, it's just me...)

nothing is better than the car you own and have paid off :dunno: You just never know what you are walking into with a new car purchase (that goes for any car not jsut Ford)

I say if it runs good and has no problem, why not keep it and drive it until it won't go anymore. then while you have the time, make some car payments to yourself to save up for a new one later then you can walk in with a fat wad of cash and pretty much make your own deal. :thumbsup:

Alternately you could buy a new one and give me the old junker :D

One other thing I can compare from my 2003 4-door is just how much I HATED the seats- they were rock hard. Compared to my older rides, and even the '95 XLT I just got, these seats are so much more comfy than the 2003 was, but maybe they have improved/changed them. The '01 Sport seats were awesome though. I also don't care for the new rounded armersts and door handles and the new dash either- I like the setup on the '03 better, and the setup on the Gen 2/Gen 3 Sport the best.

This is a question I wanted to post. I have an 04 XLT and am looking to upgrade to an 07 or 08 but looking for more info. I dont care about warranty unless they are going to pick my car up at my house and drop off another. Is the 07-08 worth it or should I wait?

thats funny the price for the explorer hasn't changed much...we bought our 96' brand new(still have it) for 28k...and thats what they are selling for now.

Back