• Register Today It's free!

Should i Bypass the factory amp??

jiimi

Reaction score
City, State
St. Mary's County, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4door 4wd XLT
Ok, i belive my car came with a factory amp, its a 92, 4door 4wd. I took out the old radio, and installed a new one. Unfourtunatly i couldn't find an adapter so i had to cut of the old quick conect from the car and HU and match the wires up together. Everything worked out ok. and been running fine for the past year. Im now going to change the speakers in the door. Should i bypass the factory amp? i don't plan on putting in a different one, my HU is 4x45 watts RMS which should be plenty since most 6x8 are 50 watts RMS. What is the wattage on the factory amp, should i even bother?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There has been a lot of talk about the factory amps lately. The general consensus is to get rid of it. It degrades the sound quality, and limits the power that gets to the speakers. You can buy an amp bypass adapter that just plugs in, or if you feel confident, you can cut and splice the wires together.

Ok, thnx, this might be a dumb question but where is the factory amp located?? Would it just be better to wire the speakers straight to the HU how hard is it to get them through the doors?

The amp is located in the rear passenger side panel, where the rear seatbelt bolts on the top. You have to remove this to bypass it. It is probably going to be easier just to rewire the speakers, since you will have the doors apart to put the new speakers in.

WHY DID FORD EVEN BOTHER WITH THE FACTORY AMP?
IT CAUSES NOTHING BUT TROUBLE.

It just causes problems for people like us, now my parents which will never upgrade there stero it works just great....... I ripped out my factory amp and sub and put two amps in its place to runn my door speakers

I've noticed most other car makers at least have the courtesy to put ther amp near or on the HU. I'd like to meet the guy who came up with this idea, I bet he's a real Einstein.

jimmi - are you sure you're head unit is 45 watts RMS x4, most of the time the numbers for head units are peak. I know my pioneer says on it 50w x4 but it is really 22 watts RMS x4.
If it is 45 watts peak i'd still take out the factory amp.

I say dump the factory ampo,

What HU do you have that is putting out 45 W RMS?

Thanks.....

That rating is peak, I'm guessing. Most put out 20-25 watts RMS. But the new Alpine head unit with the hybrid MOFSET 60 internal amp put out 60 x 4 peak and 27 x 4 RMS. I thinking of getting that sucker.

Yeah, thnx i just looked back and it is 45 watts at peak.

Has anyone wired thier speakers through the door? how hard is it to go through the door properly?

rewire

You should rewire your door speakers, it is not hard to do. I just used a hanger to pull the wire through the door to the inside. I just followed the wires that were there.
Take your time and do it right the first time.

Van

Back