Should I put 2013 16" rims on my 1996 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I put 2013 16" rims on my 1996 XLT?

A search indicates that the bolt patterns are the same for all Explorers. Does that mean I can put 16-inch wheels on my 1996 Explorer 4WD?

I want to do a 2" suspension lift (shackles and torsion) and buy a separate set of taller wheels and tires for off-road. (Yes, I know the speedo will be off unless I swap the speedo drive gear when I swap wheels.)

Is it smart or dumb to buy 16" rims from a 2013 or other newer Explorer for my off-road tires? For a given overall diameter (31 or 32 non-metric size) would you rather have a 15-inch or a 16-inch wheel? I was looking at the following chart and I can't decide between 32X11.50R15 and 265/75R16

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=53

Maybe the availability of off-road tires is better in the non-metric size?

Also, oddly nobody seems to have cheap used 15-inch rims for sale on Craigslist. You'd think there would be millions of them out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm gonna guess those wheels, unless run with very wide spacers, won't work. Modern vehicles use large positive offsets, whereas the second gen explorers like negative offsets. Positive bring the wheel mounting surface further inboard, whereas negative pushes it outboard. With the difference in suspension, I'm gonna guess the 5th gen Explorer wheels and wider tires would be hitting on a lot of things and won't work.

I'm gonna guess those wheels, unless run with very wide spacers, won't work. Modern vehicles use large positive offsets, whereas the second gen explorers like negative offsets.

I found this thread saying that the 3rd gen (2002-2005) Explorer (and therefore also Ranger?) 16" wheels would be a direct fit.

If I find 16-inch 2002-2005 Explorer wheels is there any reason to choose them over 15x8 wheels, all else being equal?

After looking at the tire size chart and some Tacomas, I have decided on 265/70R16 tires (largest size for 2001-ish Tacoma with off road suspension). I might also look at 265/70R16 tires for one extra inch if I want to push it.

This will requires me to find some 16-inch wheels from a 2002-2005 Explorer, but I have some time. They might end up being cheaper than 15x8 wheels. My 1996 has 15x7 wheels stock, right?

I'm in the SF bay area if anybody has extra 16" wheels to sell me locally.

Even 02+ wheels will be sunk into the wheel wells over 1" more than the 15s you have now. Also even with 235/70/16 tires installed the tire hits the upper control arms in the front so you would still need spacers front and rear.

Even 02+ wheels will be sunk into the wheel wells over 1" more than the 15s you have now. Also even with 235/70/16 tires installed the tire hits the upper control arms in the front so you would still need spacers front and rear.

Thanks. I was looking at the 02-05 wheels and the offset does look very different, with the mounting surface only about an inch in from the outer edge of the wheel. I'll measure the wheels to determine what spacer thickness is needed, unless someone here knows and posts it.

Thanks. I was looking at the 02-05 wheels and the offset does look very different, with the mounting surface only about an inch in from the outer edge of the wheel. I'll measure the wheels to determine what spacer thickness is needed, unless someone here knows and posts it.

The 02 wheels have 5" offset if I measured them correctly. Are there any 3.5" offset 16" diameter Ford wheels that will fit a 1996 Explorer? Or are all such wheels aftermarket only?

I would stay 15 " buying tires for 16" is more expensive I hate my 16's plus larger tires look better on smaller rims in my opinion just my 2 pennies

Thanks. I think I'll do that. My 15" alloy rims look really good.

I think I'll go for 31x10.50x15 or 32x11.50x15 on the stock 15x7 alloy rims depending on how much lift I can get. Has anyone tried 32x11.50x15 on stock rims with only shackles and torsion twist?

Back