Show me your post body lift bumper mounts please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Show me your post body lift bumper mounts please!

ld50

Oh, the money you`ll blow
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 dr 4x4 manual XL.
Hi.

I`m looking at my bumpers and my frame, and I`m wondering how the bumpers look after you do a body lift & move them.
Seems to me you will have the frame sticking out a bit.
Also, the front bumper seems to curve around the frame ends, so it would have to be moved forward too.

I`m trying to find pics that show the frame sticking out after a body lift, but all the pics I find actually look pretty good, even though some people have posted that they look like cr@p.

Also, if you got any tricks for the bumper mounting throw that in for good measure will ya?
I`m doing a two inch lift this weekend.
Really would like to see some close ups of the undersides of the bumpers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I trimmed the frame a little on the rear end, on both ends I used the top frame hole as the bottom after raising and re drilled the brackets for the top, sorry no pics but I can tell ya it was a pain in the a$$.

Hmmm.
Did you just use a grinder to trim?
How does it look?
Are the frame rails noticeable now?
How long to complete the project?(I`m going to come to work and do it before a night shift, so I need to give myself enough time. It would be alright if I didn`t get the bumpers on right away, cuz I can do them the next day)

Yup I just used a grinder to trim . I took me 8 hr.s without doing the bumpers . Get help if you can.heres a small tip cut the body mount bolts off close to the mount so you dont have as much to get out. There is a good write up on the Explorer tips section.
1000021903_25200223747AM0.3862988.jpg

Hey good plan on cutting the bolts.
I`ve sprayed penetrating oil on them three times in the last month or so because of people saying they broke them. I HATE WHEN A BOLT DOES THAT!

Well shiite,

Sure enough, one of the very front mount bolts has to give me a hassle. It wouldn`t give and cracked my socket and got rounded a bit. I rounded it more with the wrench, and had to retighten everything and scrap the project for now.

Didn`t take the bumpers off though. I decided to see how the bolts were first. (luckily)

Could ya tell me if the nut will come off?
I`m thinking I could cut or chisel the head off the bolt, but that won`t help if I cant get the rest out. If the nut is not fastened to the body, I could drive it out with a punch.
All the other bolts were going to come out fine.
The front ones are the only two that bolt from below.

:mad:

Mever mind,

The nut on top will come off! There is even a nice hole to get your extension through to the nut on the driver`s side. (driver`s side was giving me the prob) I just grabbed the bolt head from underneath with a big pair of vice grips and used my impact gun on the nut.
Both sides have this hole on the metal frame under the hood, but the passenger side is blocked by the air intake.

Anyway Toad, you are following my posts and likely have seen the one about the shift levers. I wanted to get it out there for more visibility.;)

If I do ever do the lift, I got all the nuts and bolts never-siezed, so it all depends on wether I can end up with a nice looking set of shifters, and not an ugly mess!

Back