• Register Today It's free!

Shudder at 40 mph and SES light

gaw

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
03' XLT
As I was going to work today, my '03 XLT had a shudder feel, transmission seemed to shift funny and it seemed like it was going to die, so I tried to accelerate out of it...noticed the SES light coming on, blinking....was near a Autozone and drove to it to see if I could have them read a code, but the SES light went out before I got there. I drove from Autozone to work and no more problems...no SES light, no shudder, no weird shifting problem, no missing on acceleration...any ideas? This has happened on 1 other occasion about a week ago...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any chance the code that was being thrown with my ses light is in some kind of memory in the Explorer and can be retrieved somehow?

Any chance the code that was being thrown with my ses light is in some kind of memory in the Explorer and can be retrieved somehow?

Yes. If a telltale is illuminated it stores the code. I suggest going to autozone.

Yes, OBDII will hold some codes w/o throwing the MIL (SES)

I went to Autozone and they said no code was present...

update...I'm still getting the ses light from time to time. The ses will not stay on all of the time, and usually is gone in about 30 seconds...latest times the Explorer seems to be bogging down on acceleration and then I get the flashing ses. As I said previously, autozone could not read any code. Is the code there but I need a specific code reader to see what the code is?

I suppose it's possible that some readers can't pull hidden codes.

Get your own, I use the www.autoenginuity.com My favorite so far.

Back