Silly odometer question

fixxxer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4X4
Can someone answer; why does my Ex's Odometer only read up to 99,999.9 before turning back over to 00,000.0?
Did the Ford engineers think no one would ever drive one of these long enough to turn the odometer over?
This is the only vehicle I've ever driven in over 35 years (aside from military vehicles) that doesn't have the ability to read 100,000 miles plus.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just speculating but I'd guess it was a cost issue. Picayune as it may seem the extra digit (and mechanism) probably had some bean counter hopping up and down in horror.

yea mines been rolled twice bro lol

I'm not doubting your supposition at all but I've been in many other models of Fords, and Chevy's and so on, of a similar generation as well as older and newer models and this is the ONLY vehicle with an odometer, that doesn't go to 100K or more.
Now, a few of them did have hour-meters instead of odometers though :)
It's just such a puzzling issue to me.

they probably expected them to be on their roof before that time came. LOL. but if you think about it if it costs $1 to put one more # in, and how many of these were made this way, that could add up to a big savings.

The gauge cluster is relatively cramped. Maybe a space saving measure.

From what I have read.. some of the 94's have the 6th digit (100k digit)..

we fixed it the easy way on our '92.. Here is a pic of the 2nd time we fixed it.. already fixed it a 3rd time and in nother 20k miles and I'll have to change it from a 3 to a 4.

~Mark

Attachments

• 300k.jpg
    300k.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 237

Lol awesome. It would help though cause I thought mine had 340,000 on it... it only had 240,000. Made me look like a dumbass. Curse you ford!! Now it has 309,000 all on the same engine trans. That's why I'm expecting it to go boom.

Your vehicle hits 200,000 plus miles and you're complaining about the odometer design??? Wow...

Mike

now i feel like mine is a baby. barely over 110,000 miles on it

Mine has the extra digit, in fact I just say it today. It says 338,###.#. I don't remember the exact number. But, it's a Canadian vehicle, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

EDIT: Being it's a Canadian vehicle, isn't why I don't remember the exact odometer reading. LOL

From what I have read.. some of the 94's have the 6th digit (100k digit)..

we fixed it the easy way on our '92.. Here is a pic of the 2nd time we fixed it.. already fixed it a 3rd time and in nother 20k miles and I'll have to change it from a 3 to a 4.

~Mark

Mine is a 94 and is DOES have the 6th digit.. I just went and looked to make sure..

My 6th digit finally moved a couple days ago. i am at 200k.

Back