Single solenoid A4ld, downshift issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Single solenoid A4ld, downshift issue

tltane

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
-71 Ford 17m
Hi and greetings from Finland. I have an early a4ld with the single solenoid valve body and I don't know if it is working correctly. It's hooked to 2.9 which is converted to carburetor. TCC lock up is not in use, no electricity at all.

The issue is with the 4->3 downshift, above 55mph it will not downshift with light throttle input ONLY when the kickdown is activated. It will downshift normally below 55mph with light throttle input.

Is this actually how these single solenoid A4ld should work or is there something wrong?

Hi and greetings from Finland. I have an early a4ld with the single solenoid valve body and I don't know if it is working correctly. It's hooked to 2.9 which is converted to carburetor. TCC lock up is not in use, no electricity at all.

The issue is with the 4->3 downshift, above 55mph it will not downshift with light throttle input ONLY when the kickdown is activated. It will downshift normally below 55mph with light throttle input.

Is this actually how these single solenoid A4ld should work or is there something wrong?
Hi, popping this back up, hoping to find someone with experience on these early one solenoid valve bodies.

Back