SiriusXM Xtra channels.... Incompatible with every year/make/model | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SiriusXM Xtra channels.... Incompatible with every year/make/model

P

PIUtility

So after a 15 minute screaming match with SiriusXM today, I've canceled my account until this gets resolved. I've reached out to Ford and I'll get a reply this week I'm sure, but this is ridiculous.

Basically, Sirius moved a few channels (that I actually listened to) to a new bracket, channels 300+ and will continue to add to it. Unless you have one of 2 specific Chrysler vehicles, you HAVE to buy one of the aftermarket radios from SiriusXM, or use streaming on mobile. Quiet frankly, I dont feel using my mobile data for a fugging satellite service, nevermind the fact that they are asking people to play around with their phones while driving.

I'm pissed, not going to lie. This is absolutely ridiculous. I spent money on for the factory option on my Explorer, now they've essentially gimped my radio. Well, that's $140 a year I just saved, might as well buy lottery tickets with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

......... I spent money on for the factory option on my Explorer, now they've essentially gimped my radio. Well, that's $140 a year I just saved, might as well buy lottery tickets with it.
Not sure exactly what the factory option is you are referring to. Don't all Explorers come with complimentary 6 months of Sirius/XM? Is that an option for the PIU? I wasn't aware that any channels were moved but then I only really listen to 1 or 2 of them.
Perhaps there online listings aren't up-to-date but it shows every channel from 300 and up is "Online Only".

Peter

Not sure exactly what the factory option is you are referring to. Don't all Explorers come with complimentary 6 months of Sirius/XM? Is that an option for the PIU? I wasn't aware that any channels were moved but then I only really listen to 1 or 2 of them.
Perhaps there online listings aren't up-to-date but it shows every channel from 300 and up is "Online Listening Only".

Peter

See here: https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/a...e-radios-can-receive-siriusxms-xtra-channels?

And here: http://www.siriusxm.com/xtrachannels

These Xtra channels are only available on our new SiriusXM radios and on SiriusXM Internet Radio

At Home or On the Go
Listen to Xtra channels on radios and accessories that go from the dash to your den with ease.
Shop Now

In Your Car
Select 2013 Chrysler models currently come equipped with SiriusXM’s latest satellite radio technology.
• Ram 1500
• SRT Viper

More models coming soon.

On the Internet
Whether on your computer, smartphone or tablet enjoy anywhere access to these new Xtra channels with SiriusXM Internet Radio.
Try It Free

As far as cost, I didnt have Sirius in my vehicle. I had to buy the harness, swap the ACM and pay for reprogramming of the 3 modules. But even in my 2017 dealer loaner I have right now, the channels are incompatible. I'm just livid this is the direction things are moving with Sirius, and they're only comment is "Well then you need to buy the newer equipment or update your subscription to add streaming" which I find both laughable and dangerous to suggest people use their phones to control the radio in the vehicle, in addition to expecting me to use another paid service (cell) to listen to programming I already had before Thursday last week.

Sirius is always a hard sell, rarely fun speaking with them. Due to the poor sound quality associated with satellite radio coupled with Sirius's hard sell, I've mitigated the problem by no longer subscribing.

I agree on not being any fun to deal with but I haven't found them a "hard sell". I've been a subscriber since 2011 and have never paid the price they asked. One time the renewal came to around $190 including fees and taxes for a 1 year period. I ended up paying around $95 with fees and taxes included plus free online listening. Since they always lower the price, I don't really understand why they have actual 'rates'. I guess it's for those that are willing to pay what is asked of them. Will be going through this again in September.:(

Peter

I was an XM subscriber from Sept 2001 until the merger, when I lost 12 of my 16 channels I had preset, all were reformatted or took the Sirius equiv. To me there was a marked difference in audio quality, Sirius sounding like my head was in a fishbowl on most of the channels. I had always done the Win-Back promo of $77/year, but Sirius hasnt had any real wow-factor deals for me. This moving channels to the "Xtra" bracket trend is upsetting and the last nail in the coffin for me. I wont be renewing my sub anymore since I was already on month-to-month anyway. Screw em. I hope Ford addresses this with atleast some attention/concern.

I never put in for a Sirius subscription after the free trial ended. I was under the impression it was commercial free but, found out it's really not because the promote themselves and whatnot. Plus, I'm not into talk radio, news radio, gospel radio and similar.

I bought a 3.0 32 gig thumb drive and put every music CD I own on it. Roughly about 900+ songs. Loading all that on barely put a dent in the 32 gig drive. A friend of mine has a extremely huge CD collection so, I'm going to rip a lot of what he has to the thumb drive.
Yesterday when I was having the new tires put on the tech (a Ford owner) asked if it was a CD because the same song was on when he pulled the car in and then when he backed it out. He liked the thumb drive idea so, he's going to give it a try.
What I did find out is that the 3.0 thumb drives have a faster transfer rate, or whatever the terminology is, and seems to work a bit better.

Anyway.. I don't need Sirius, I now have my own commercial free music. On almost all of the songs the artist, song and album picture show up on the head unit. Some others just have the artist and track number.
I have it set up so it "shuffles" / plays songs at random.

Oh, here's a kicker... a guy I play golf with just purchased a '17 Hyundai Accent with Sirius...He got 2 YEARS free trial of Sirius... I just found it funny that for a 40k vehicle one gets a couple of months free trial...but buy a 13k import and get 2 years. LOL.

USB 3 stick is cool, but doesnt offer much, since the car is USB 2, unless you're copying hundreds of files at a time. But that's another point of contention. Why, oh WHY, in vehicles this expensive, are you going to have such a terrible brain running the entertainment system, and limit it to an old file system on a tiny capacity?! There are 128gb sticks on sale right now for $20, yet I can barely use more than my circa-2003 ipod can hold?

Oops, should have mentioned it's the transfer rate of ripping the albums from my desktop computer to the 3.0 that was much faster.

Sirius strikes itself out again.

I'm at the point where I refuse to even listen to the free trials when it comes with the vehicle, let alone the 2 week freebies that pop up every few months.

And I can't stand when they call every single day for weeks until I get mad enough to block their numbers.

The only thing I like is Sirius Travel Link for the occasional traffic update when Nav is going, which, thankfully is free for five years.

Back