• Register Today It's free!

Size of Front Stabilizer Bar

hillre51

Reaction score
City, State
vine grove, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer eddie bauer
Good afternoon, I've a 2003 FORD EXPLORER, 4.0, 115k miles. In need of stabilizer bushings but unsure of size to purchase. Local part stores say the need the diameter of the stabilizer bar, for example, 19 mm, 21, etc. Any ideas how to determine the proper size of this thing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got an 03 Eddie Bauer V6 and recently did these. I got the Moog K80081 31MM and they worked great for me

Alright, well I have the same vehicle so I would assume mine is 31 mm as well. I suppose the logical thing to do is remove the old one first and take them to the auto store:))........... thanks, appreciate it.

I've got an 03 Eddie Bauer V6 and recently did these. I got the Moog K80081 31MM and they worked great for me

Wrench Method: This is quite simple - just take a set of wrenches and see which one fits over the bar correctly. For example, if a 18mm wrench fits perfectly over your sway bar, then you have an 18mm sway bar! Not all of us are lucky enough to be able to us this method as there are at times mid-sizes like 23.5mm etc. See below if you fall into this category.

Crescent Wrench Method: Just a little more complex than the wrench method. Simply tighten down your adjustable crescent wrench down over your sway bar. When it's tight - slip the wrench off and measure between the ends of the prongs. The distance between these is the size of your sway bar.

Back