Size socket for Tie Rod End Castle Nut? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Size socket for Tie Rod End Castle Nut?

Devo55

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Going to replace my tie rod ends soon on my 1993 Explorer. The castle nut looks huge. Anyone know what size socket will fit it? Would like to get it at Harbor Freight but they don't sell single sockets. Gotta go to expensive Home Depot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've always used a channel lock, or a crescent wrench.

At the risk of throwing a crazy idea out there, if you got a set of sockets with more than just that one size, you might someday find uses for the other sizes, and they'd typically be a lot cheaper per piece as a set instead of buying individually.

Edit: I was wrong about the size, just reposted what someone else wrote and apparently they listed spec for the stud not the nut.

At the risk of throwing a crazy idea out there, if you got a set of sockets with more than just that one size, you might someday find uses for the other sizes, and they'd typically be a lot cheaper per piece as a set instead of buying individually.

AFAIK it is 14mm on the outer tie rod end stud, and that's what Moog lists. More Information for MOOG ES2215L
Thanks. This castle nut is bigger than any socket in any of my sets.

I find it handy to own a set of 1/2" drive impact sockets in sizes at least up to that of the axle nuts, which on my 2nd gen is 32mm.

Back