• Register Today It's free!

Skrewy brakes

Butch2112

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer 4x4
92 Explorer 4.0, 4x4, automatic(a4ld), I have replaced the master cylinder and the back 2 wheel cyl. New brake shoes\pads The problem is it has the hardest pedal like they aren't even power brakes. It doesn't do this all the time, But when the hard pedal shows it will stop the car but you have to stand on it and it will sometimes lockup and slide. I have bled the lines several times and it doesn't seem to help. I am kinda afraid to drive it now. Any ideas? :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok heres the deal I took the car to Crown Ford, They want to replace both front disk because they are a little out of spec. (his words) Then remove and clean the rear drums, And put all new pads and shoes all around for $411.00. When asked if this would solve the problem I was told "Well we have to start somewhere" Does this sound like a good thing to anybody?

Nope, It sounds like he didn't even look at your truck, or he would have seen you already put on new pads/shoes.

just a thought, since the power break booster needs a vacuum to work, you might want to check your vacuum lines for any cracks or clogs.

How often does this occur?

Does everyting appear normal otherwise?

It could be a bad brake booster.

It happens maybe one in 12 times the brakes are used. Does anybody know about a pressure equalizer mounted on the frame? Someone suggested this could be out of adjustment.

That fact that you have to stand on them sopunds like you are not getting any power assist, possibly booster.

Since your truck only has rear anti-lock, which tires are locking up and sliding. It could be an issue with an electrical anti-lock brake component. Try unplugging the antilock brake relay in the cargo area, where the jack is stored and see what happens. I wouldn't think that would cause a hard pedal though.

I had a very similiar problem on my '92. Turned out the rubber grommit on the vaccuum line where it goes into the brake booster was hard and cracked. After shutting off the truck, I could hear a hissing sound as the vaccuum leaked.
Good luck!

Vic

Back