Smallest wheel size on a 2006 limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smallest wheel size on a 2006 limited

yakirg

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
Hello guys!

I have a 2006 explorer limited with 18" wheels on it.
I am looking to put some offroad tires on, and found that on 18" there are almost none. On 17" there are some, but on 16" there are tons.

Anyone know if I can fit 17" or even 16" wheels on the car?

What is the largest tire size I can fit on it with no modification?

Thanks,

Yakir

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mountaineers have a 17" and 18" rim size from the factory and I believe that applied to the Explorers for the '06 model year too. Look in the modified section for the answer to the max tire size... I believe that it is a 31" equivalent size.

16 inch fits my 2006 Eddie Bauer, so it should fit your mountaineer. Same brakes right? And 16 was on base XLT explorers stock

If you where in Salt lake I would swap you for my 17s.

16 inch fits my 2006 Eddie Bauer, so it should fit your mountaineer. Same brakes right? And 16 was on base XLT explorers stock

Thanks, man!
Is it same brakes?
Has anyone tried to have a tire place swap the wheels for 16" ones arround Toronto? I guess I will just need to pull into a place and ask ...

16" rims were the smallest size from the factory. I am running my snow tires on a set of 16" rims on my '07 with zero issues and cheaper tires and rims to boot...

16" wheels are the smallest wheels you can fit to the 2006-2010 explorer/mountaineer due to the brakes. FYI they all have the same brakes as well.

Is there any issues to put 16 inch for winter tires on a Limited ? Thank you in advance

Shouldn't be an issue. The brakes are the same regardless of the trim or wheel size on the '06-10 models.

My own wheels are 17". My winters are 16". No problems or issues, and the package was cheaper too.

interesting... last week I was almost bored enough to see if my 15's from my 98 would fit the 07..... I didnt think that there were going to be any fit issues

Hi
I put my 15 inch chrome rims on my 06 explorer. I have 31's on the chrome rims. If I decide to run them I have to buy adapters to move the rim out 1/2 inch to a inch.

Back