SOHC ac compressor removal thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC ac compressor removal thread

daisyrocky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Hi, I see a lot on pre 96 ac compressor removal and install but not on a 97 Sohc and up. I tried to remove my ac compressor on my 97 and see it must be done under the truck. Any advices would be deeply appreciated before I start the project. Bones at 63 is not what it used to be, if it's a hassle I'll leave it to the pros at the shop.

I removed one last winter at the junk yard and don't remember it being much of a problem. Upper two bolts and line fittings are easily accessible from above. The bottom two bolts can be accessed by removing the wheel & fender splash shield. Don't even think they can be reached from underneath the car. Good luck!

Yes you are correct, did it earlier with no issues. Instead the accumulator gave me hell for 4 hours, had to sawall the top hose with the spring clamp lock because it did not budge no matter what and how you pull it. Brought 3 different sets of AC line disconnect kits and none of them helped. Brought new accumulator and orifice tube. All is fine for now.

Back