SOHC Cam Chain Guide Question

Robert

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelseyville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Has anyone seen the SOHC cam chain guide and know what it is made of? My engine has made a light grinding type sound for over a year now. I originally thought it was my waterpump since it leaked. I had it replaced six months ago, but the noise didn't go away. I have the letter from Ford that extends the warranty on the cam chain guides. It describes the problem as a "metallic sound". What the heck is a metallic sound? Grinding, rattleing, knocking, squeeking or any other types of sounds could be a metallic sound. I have 73K miles on my '97 and had an oil analysis done. Everything came up looking excellent other than aluminum. Mine has 10ppm whereas the industry average on the 4.0L (doesn't say if it is the OHV or SOHC though) is 4ppm. They said that since everything else is in good shape that they don't think it is a problem. They did recommend sending my next sample in for evaluation to see if the aluminum is rising or not. I am wondering if maybe the cam chain guides are aluminum or not. That is, if they are internal to the engine. If they are not internal, then I imagine that if they were wearing, they wuoldn't affect my oil sample anyway. The lab attributed the aluminum to pistons, but that may be just generic. I don't know if the SOHC pistons are aluminum or not.

The SOHC pistons are aluminum, but I doubt that they are really wearing with 73K miles on them. Some of the 4.0L main bearings were made of aluminum, but so were a lot of other things. Other aluminum pieces that I can think of are the heads, front cover, valve cover, ladder frame, and water pump.

The old style cam chain guides in your '97 were all plastic. The newer level guides are a different plastic but now with a metal backing.

I guess I'll have to find out on my next oil change if the aluminum in my oil is getting worse. They did say that since there were no other trace metals, that they doubt if it is a problem, just to get another analysis with my next oil change to see if it is getting worse. If it stays the same or better, I'll wait a couple of oil changes and test it again. If it is still OK, I'll probably go to once a year testing to keep an eye on things.

I just had my Exp repaired for the third time concerning the cam chain and tensioners. The first two times they changed the tensioner, the third time they tore apart the lower half of the motor and replaced some cam jack shaft thing. After that repair, I have averaged 20 more miles to the tank and no more strange noises. I also had the 00M12 recall done as well.

Back